Advice for non-traditional applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woolfda

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 28 yr. old, who has recently solidified the decision to go to medical school. I am looking to apply during the 2006 application cycle. I wanted to get some advice from a few of you more expereinced non-trads concerning my background.

I started undergrad in Fall 1996, and due to some life events did not complete my degree until Dec. 2004. However, the following is a list of courses I have taken:

General Biology 1&2 A,A (1996-7)
General Chemistry 1&2 B,B+ (1996-7)
Organic Chemistry 1&2 A,C (97,99
Physics 1&2 A,B (1997)
Microbiology B+ (9
Genetics A (97)
Calculus I A- (98)
Plant Biology A (9
Embryology A (99)
Elementary Biochem A (02)
Epidemiology of Emerging Infections A (04)
Drug Action and Design A (04)
COmprehensive Biochemistry P (04)
Anatomy and Physiology I A (04)

My question is, do you think that I should apply as is? Or should I pursue a one year master's to prove my current competence. I have not yet taken the MCAT so I cannot comment on that. The school that I am interested in (my state school, Maryland) does not have a time limit on prerequisites, but they do like to see recent science coursework. What would your advice be to me?

Members don't see this ad.

woolfda said:
I am a 28 yr. old, who has recently solidified the decision to go to medical school. I am looking to apply during the 2006 application cycle. I wanted to get some advice from a few of you more expereinced non-trads concerning my background.

I started undergrad in Fall 1996, and due to some life events did not complete my degree until Dec. 2004. However, the following is a list of courses I have taken:

Physics 1&2 A,B (1997)
Microbiology B+ (9
Genetics A (97)
Calculus I A- (98)
Plant Biology A (9
Embryology A (99)

My question is, do you think that I should apply as is? Or should I pursue a one year master's to prove my current competence. I have not yet taken the MCAT so I cannot comment on that. The school that I am interested in (my state school, Maryland) does not have a time limit on prerequisites, but they do like to see recent science coursework. What would your advice be to me?

Your grades are fine (better than mine) and you appear to have the pre-req's for most schools. I say study for the MCAT and, with a respectable performance, you'll be just fine....make sure you have interesting extracurriculars too. I was 27 when I made the committed step to apply. As Mike Grasso told me when I was in your position: "Be persistent. Even if it takes you a couple of years or more than one application cycle, it's nothing compared to the privilege of becoming a physician." If I can get accepted, you can too! :thumbup:

woolfda said:

Physics 1&2 A,B (1997)
Microbiology B+ (9
Genetics A (97)
Calculus I A- (98)
Plant Biology A (9
Embryology A (99)

You just completed this past year. If you took a full-time courseload, I think that qualifies as recent coursework.
The average GPA/MCAT for U of Maryland is 3.6/30. The grades listed are good, but how is the overall?
Are you prepared for the April MCAT?
It may be better to focus on the rest of your application (volunteer work and some research experience). If you are applying for 2006 entrance in June, you will not be able to write about the master's program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the encouraging words. Another school told me just to go ahead and appy as well.

Scottish Chap said:
Your grades are fine (better than mine) and you appear to have the pre-req's for most schools. I say study for the MCAT and, with a respectable performance, you'll be just fine....make sure you have interesting extracurriculars too. I was 27 when I made the committed step to apply. As Mike Grasso told me when I was in your position: "Be persistent. Even if it takes you a couple of years or more than one application cycle, it's nothing compared to the privilege of becoming a physician." If I can get accepted, you can too! :thumbup:

Elmer,

Fall 04 I took 11 credit hours, but before that I was half-time (6). My overall GPA is 3.7, and my science is about 3.6. I am going to take the August MCAT '05, and actually (I might have confused you) I am not going to apply until summer 2006 for entrance in 2007.

woolfda

Elmer said:
You just completed this past year. If you took a full-time courseload, I think that qualifies as recent coursework.
The average GPA/MCAT for U of Maryland is 3.6/30. The grades listed are good, but how is the overall?
Are you prepared for the April MCAT?
It may be better to focus on the rest of your application (volunteer work and some research experience). If you are applying for 2006 entrance in June, you will not be able to write about the master's program.

woolfda said:
Elmer,

Fall 04 I took 11 credit hours, but before that I was half-time (6). My overall GPA is 3.7, and my science is about 3.6. I am going to take the August MCAT '05, and actually (I might have confused you) I am not going to apply until summer 2006 for entrance in 2007.

woolfda

Woolf, one thing I would keep in mind is your letters of reccomendation. Schools typically want that from professors who know you. If you can get solid letters from the recent coursework you have done (last few years) then I would agree with what others have told you. If not, it might not hurt to take a few more classes over the next year (since you are still a couple years out anyway) to solidify that portion of your application.

Other than that, with a solid performance on the MCAT, you look to be a strong candidate, numerically.

woolfda said:
Elmer,

woolfda

Your GPA is right on target. I should have qualified my courseload question better. They will take into account if you are working full time or have other obligations. You will be in competition with people that took a full-time course load and worked part-time/volunteered.

Interviewers will want to see that you are committed to medicine which means volunteering in a clinical setting. It looks like you have taken all of the required and most of the suggested prerequisites. It would not hurt to do a masters program, but you will need to complete it before you matriculate. A lot of people here have gotten EMT certified and worked for clinical experience.

I agree with imrep1972 talk with your professors about recommendations while they remember you.

woolfda said:
Elmer,

woolfda

The grades and coursework looks fine. If you have or can pick up some decent health related ECs (both clinical/volunteering and some research, if possible) and do well on the MCAT, you are golden.

Law2Doc said:
The grades and coursework looks fine. If you have or can pick up some decent health related ECs (both clinical/volunteering and some research, if possible) and do well on the MCAT, you are golden.

The numbers look great.....to be honest your GPA is significantly better then mine.....of course I have a lot of E.C. activities that I was able to tie into my decision to further my career in medicine. Do decent on your MCAT and bolster your resume with E.C. activities or hospital/healthcare related experiences and you should be fine....Just remember the admissions committee's are looking at your paper credentials as an indicator of "your ability to complete the program". Stay the course, be confident in what you have to offer, and you will be fine.

Mark

LECOM
c/o 2009