Advice for OOS applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seakzdent

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am from Alaska so I will be applying to pretty much every school on the west coast (besides UCLA and UoP - I don't think I'd have a good chance). Right now, I have UW, OHSU, Midwestern, Western, Colorado, Utah, UCSF (maybe) on my school list. I'm not sure if it's even worth it to apply to schools farther away but I would like to add more to the list to have a better chance at doing this once. Could I get more insight?

Here's a little about me:

-My cumGPA is 3.93, science is around 3.89.
-will be taking the DAT next month
-division I athlete all 4 years
-volunteering is okay, around 200 hrs (mission work & also at UW dent)
-dental experience is good, worked as a DA for the past three summers
-shadowing is a bit low, maybe 60 hrs due to the fact that I spent my time working & not shadowing
-no research, no other extracurricular activities because I truly couldn't find the time
-TA/tutor for anatomy, biology, and advised incoming student athletes with the transition from hs to college

Based on this, I know my stats are okay but when I look at myself on paper that is all there is... just "okay." I feel like there really isn't anything that makes me standout besides being an athlete. But is it worth it to seek schools farther away or just only try to apply to WICHE schools since I am from AK? I find myself to be very adaptive so I truly could live anywhere, just maybe not the midwest. Also, I'm kind of freaking out about my DAT because if I bomb it then it's over. Could I get a 19 and still have a good chance?

Sorry, I know that was a lot of rambling.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I am from Alaska so I will be applying to pretty much every school on the west coast (besides UCLA and UoP - I don't think I'd have a good chance). Right now, I have UW, OHSU, Midwestern, Western, Colorado, Utah, UCSF (maybe) on my school list. I'm not sure if it's even worth it to apply to schools farther away but I would like to add more to the list to have a better chance at doing this once. Could I get more insight?

Here's a little about me:

-My cumGPA is 3.93, science is around 3.89.
-will be taking the DAT next month
-division I athlete all 4 years
-volunteering is okay, around 200 hrs (mission work & also at UW dent)
-dental experience is good, worked as a DA for the past three summers
-shadowing is a bit low, maybe 60 hrs due to the fact that I spent my time working & not shadowing
-no research, no other extracurricular activities because I truly couldn't find the time
-TA/tutor for anatomy, biology, and advised incoming student athletes with the transition from hs to college

Based on this, I know my stats are okay but when I look at myself on paper that is all there is... just "okay." I feel like there really isn't anything that makes me standout besides being an athlete. But is it worth it to seek schools farther away or just only try to apply to WICHE schools since I am from AK? I find myself to be very adaptive so I truly could live anywhere, just maybe not the midwest. Also, I'm kind of freaking out about my DAT because if I bomb it then it's over. Could I get a 19 and still have a good chance?

Sorry, I know that was a lot of rambling.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

are you URM?