Advice for other schools within my range (non-trad)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

farmaka

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Check OOS interview/acceptance rates for Umass and UMinnesota (if your OOS). Virginia Tech I believe is very in state biased/small class size. Harvard, Yale, Hopkins are a reach as you said. I'd apply to all your in state schools.

Reactions: 1 user
MN is very IS focused; Mayo would be another option.

Members don't see this ad :)
MCAT: 519 (97%tile)
SMP GPA: 3.6
Post-Bacc GPA: 4.0
UG GPA: 2.99

2+ years research experience with publication in the pipes.
2 years clinical experience
Shadowing,
Diverse ECs

I want to stay in the Northeast (negotiable) and have applied to:
BU
HOFSTRA
QUINNIPIAC
TUFTS
TULANE
UMASS
UMinnesota Twin Cities
VIRGINIA TECH
HARVARD
YALE
JOHNS HOPKINS

If I were you I would add:
Penn State
The Philly schools
Quinnipiac

I understand schools like Harvard, Yale and Johns Hopkins are a reach but I figured since my MCAT was in their range I would give it a shot.

I am looking for advice at other great schools that are within my target range. Also I appreciate comments on my chances at the schools on my list.

I would be willing to go to a less prestigious school if they offered me money. Is this a common occurrence? And if so, which schools participate in such deals.

Thank you for your time.

If I were you I would add:
Penn State
The Philly schools
Quinnipiac

Last edited:
Thank you all for the replies. I should have stated I am a Massachusetts resident and UMass is my target school.

I am adding Penn State, Cooper Medical School, Geisinger Commonwealth, SUNY Upstate, Rutgers RWJ.

What do you think about these?
Rutgers and TCMC will be donations.

Add

Albany
NYMC
the Philly Triplets
BU
UNECOM
PCOM
LECOM
NYITCOM
VCOM
EVMS
VCU
Columbia
BU
Dartmouth
Pitt
Duke
U Miami

Forget about Harvard, Yale and U MN

Last edited:
Thank you. By donations you mean my application money is essentially a donation with no chance of acceptance?
Also, I see you recommend to add Duke and Columbia - two schools which I believed to be in the same class with Harvard and Yale. Can you touch on why they are any different?
I had UMN because I have a medium strength family connection to the state of MN, but I have no problem forgetting about it if it is unrealistic.

Best

In the bold, yes, as I have yet to see any evidence that these schools reward reinvention.

Based upon the success of SDNers (admittedly a small n), the schools I listed do reward reinvention. Oh, and so does Mayo.

Family ties to a state are not ties (except for UNLV). The good people of the Gopher state want to know that you'll stick around to practice, since they're subsidizing your tuition.