Advice for potential re-applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spenceravenue

Reaction score
Hello fellow budding doctors!

I wanted to reach out to get your two cents on my current situation. I just applied to this past cycle, which has been a bit of a s*** show for everyone because of the ongoing pandemic. I applied to about 8 schools (5 MD and 3 DO), because I didn't have the money for app fees for too many more.

I was rejected from every MD school, except for SGU. With current P/F status for Step 1 and limited residency spots, I feel like now, more than ever, I'm shooting myself in the foot if I go there. I interviewed and am awaiting a decision from 1 of the DO schools (the other two haven't responded, so I'm assuming they're Rs). My stats are as follows:
UGrad cGPA: 3.69
UGrad + PostBac sGPA: 3.85
MCAT: 499 (Jun 2020), 503 (Aug 2020)*
*my grandmother died and I had surgery the week before taking the June and August exams

Relevant pluses: EMT x5 years, EMT / MA x2 years, COVID field hospital, among other clinical experiences - nearly 100 hours shadowing, 5,000 hours healthcare work experience, seriously good letters of rec (like president of a hospital system).

Relevant detractors: Little to no research experience. I've never had any interest in it, and while I do enjoy science courses, I don't know if forcing myself to check a box off is worthwhile - please let me know if I should be thinking otherwise. I think my MCAT is the worst part of my app.

--------------

If I don't get into the DO school, do you think that the best course of action is to:
1) retake the MCAT and strive for a better score, then reapply, or
2) should I take on a Masters to help boost my application,
3) start a research job of some sort
4) attend SGU

Thank you all for your advice ahead of time. This cycle has been crazy, and I'm thankful for your straight up, unadulterated advice. You guys are the best.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have a DO LOR, with all your EMT experiences, you have to have met some. If so, start networking, if you haven't done so already.

You may have a bad LOR

Rewrite all essays and have multiple eyeballs vet them.

You already have a good post-bac GPA, so do NOT do a research MS. Consider an SMP, but only one given by a host med school with good linkage.

For the love of God, forget about SGU. Be a PA instead.

Reactions: 1 user
4) attend SGU

You shot yourself in the foot by applying to few little schools and now have to apply again and waste more money. I'd retake the MCAT if you are confident you can do much better. If not, apply to more DO > MD schools and more schools overall. It is going to be $ but better than applying again and again.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users