Jul 19, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello and thanks in advance for your time!

I am fairly certain I will be unsuccessful this application cycle based on the current trend and am seeking advice for re-application strategy. One aspect I will be sure to change is to apply to DO programs, which I (stupidly) did not do this cycle. Below I will provide a snapshot of my current application and new changes/updates that will be reflected in a re-application. Then I will list the potential paths I can take, and I would love feedback on which would be most likely to improve my chances.

Snapshot at time of application Submitted 7/12/2020
Undergraduate (2015-2019)

Michigan State University Class of 2019, B.S. in Genomics & Molecular Genetics, Additional Major in Psychology
cGPA=3.3 sGPA=3.1 (several Cs; retook 3 Ds; no Fs)
*sort of* upward trend--4.0ed senior year in difficult science courses, but prior to that had quite poor basic science grades due to lack of effort and time management/prioritized work>school
1st Author Poster Presentations: 3 (1 national)
Undergraduate Research: 960 hours, 2 years genetics research
Paid Undergraduate Clinical Work: 1920 hours, 2.5 years genetic counseling assistant
Leadership: Medical Outreach Club (President 2017-2018; Public Relations Chair 2016-2017) ACS Colleges Against Cancer (Social Media Director 2018-2019)
Clinical Volunteering: 300 hours (all done during summers: hospital volunteer and medical outreach)
Non-Clinical Volunteering: 200 hours (variety of places: ronald mcdonald house, homeless shelter, food bank, get-out-the-vote, etc)
Shadowing: 50 hours during medical outreach (didn't include clinical work as shadowing hours)
4 LORs: Microbial Genetics Professor, Undergrad Research PI, ACS Volunteer Cooordinator, and NIH research PI

Research Postbacc (June 2019-June 2021)
National Institutes of Health Intramural Research Training Award (full-time paid postbacc in clinical research; direct patient contact; rare metabolic diseases)
Paid Research/Clinical work: 4160 hours
Shadowing: 60 hours
Scored 509 on MCAT taken June 2020 (covid delay)

Updates since submission
Publications: 2 co-author papers accepted to Genetics in Medicine
Presentations: 2 additional 1st author posters (1 national)
Non-Clinical Volunteering: 50 hours with Rock the Vote DC

Projected updates in next 5 months
Publications: 1 first author paper in American Journal of Medical Genetics Part A; 1 additional co-author paper (submitting to Science, but obviously may be rejected)
Presentations: 2 additional posters (1 national)

REAPPLICATION STRATEGIES:
A)
Retake MCAT; reapply in 2021 with improved MCAT and publications; accept postbacc extension I have been offered from PI for 3rd year
B) Retake MCAT; reapply in 2021 with improved MCAT and publications; reject postbacc extension offer and instead do DIY postbacc at GWU and send schools updates with new grades
C) Delay reapp: Reject extension; do DIY postbacc at GWU (fall '21-spring '22); retake MCAT in either 2021 or 2022; reapply in 2022
D) Don't retake MCAT; reapply in 2021 and hope additional publications/presentations/rewriting essays will get me in; accept postbacc extension

I am sorry this post was so long--you are a saint for reading the whole thing. I am looking forward to any additional feedback you are willing to offer (e.g. I am assuming if I don't get in it is because of my stats--should I also be shooting to boost volunteering hours or other aspects?)

Talldoctor96

2+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2018
C)
you don't need to retake your mcat bro/bromiga ! Many have gotten in with that MCAT, including myself. Work on that GPA thats the real issue.

Reactions: 1 user
Jun 24, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Your app is great except for your MCAT and GPA. I usually don't like inviting others into any specific thread, but am doing so for this one, as I believe @Goro will be able to offer you the best advice.

About the Ads

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Snapshot at time of application Submitted 7/12/2020
Undergraduate (2015-2019)

Michigan State University Class of 2019, B.S. in Genomics & Molecular Genetics, Additional Major in Psychology
cGPA=3.3 sGPA=3.1 (several Cs; retook 3 Ds; no Fs)
*sort of* upward trend--4.0ed senior year in difficult science courses, but prior to that had quite poor basic science grades due to lack of effort and time management/prioritized work>school
Undergraduate Research: 960 hours, 2 years genetics research
Paid Undergraduate Clinical Work: 1920 hours, 2.5 years genetic counseling assistant
Leadership: Medical Outreach Club (President 2017-2018; Public Relations Chair 2016-2017) ACS Colleges Against Cancer (Social Media Director 2018-2019)
Clinical Volunteering: 300 hours (all done during summers: hospital volunteer and medical outreach)
Non-Clinical Volunteering: 200 hours (variety of places: ronald mcdonald house, homeless shelter, food bank, get-out-the-vote, etc)
Shadowing: 50 hours during medical outreach (didn't include clinical work as shadowing hours)
4 LORs: Microbial Genetics Professor, Undergrad Research PI, ACS Volunteer Cooordinator, and NIH research PI

Research Postbacc (June 2019-June 2021)
National Institutes of Health Intramural Research Training Award (full-time paid postbacc in clinical research; direct patient contact; rare metabolic diseases)
Paid Research/Clinical work: 4160 hours
Shadowing: 60 hours
Scored 509 on MCAT taken June 2020 (covid delay)

Updates since submission
Publications: 2 co-author papers accepted to Genetics in Medicine
Presentations: 2 additional 1st author posters (1 national)
Non-Clinical Volunteering: 50 hours with Rock the Vote DC

Projected updates in next 5 months
Publications: 1 first author paper in American Journal of Medical Genetics Part A; 1 additional co-author paper (submitting to Science, but obviously may be rejected)
Presentations: 2 additional posters (1 national)

REAPPLICATION STRATEGIES:
A)
Retake MCAT; reapply in 2021 with improved MCAT and publications; accept postbacc extension I have been offered from PI for 3rd year
B) Retake MCAT; reapply in 2021 with improved MCAT and publications; reject postbacc extension offer and instead do DIY postbacc at GWU and send schools updates with new grades
C) Delay reapp: Reject extension; do DIY postbacc at GWU (fall '21-spring '22); retake MCAT in either 2021 or 2022; reapply in 2022
D) Don't retake MCAT; reapply in 2021 and hope additional publications/presentations/rewriting essays will get me in; accept postbacc extension

I am sorry this post was so long--you are a saint for reading the whole thing. I am looking forward to any additional feedback you are willing to offer (e.g. I am assuming if I don't get in it is because of my stats--should I also be shooting to boost volunteering hours or other aspects?)
I think that you need one more year of post-bac or SMP to complete your reinvention. A single good SR year isn't enough data points to show that this is the new you.

Your ECs are outstanding. Just stick with what interests you the most.
Read this:

Jul 19, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Thank you all for your input!

I think that you need one more year of post-bac or SMP to complete your reinvention. A single good SR year isn't enough data points to show that this is the new you.

Your ECs are outstanding. Just stick with what interests you the most.
Read this:
Thanks for your time Goro--I will take your advice and delay reapplication by 1 year to pursue a DIY postbacc. What are your thoughts on retaking the MCAT as well? I read through your thread and saw you recommended 513+ for reinvention.

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Thank you all for your input!

Thanks for your time Goro--I will take your advice and delay reapplication by 1 year to pursue a DIY postbacc. What are your thoughts on retaking the MCAT as well? I read through your thread and saw you recommended 513+ for reinvention.
If you're gunning for MD, then retake the MCAT. Your score is fine for DO right now.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.