Advice for pursuing ENT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnotherDoOver

Reaction score
I already know its an extremely competitive field that is not typically DO friendly but I was still curious if anyone had any words of advice or any connections that could help me proceed into being one of the lucky ones to match. I am currently a OMS-III with a 250 step 1 and a 700 level 1, top percent of the class when it comes to pre-clinical grades, just started clinical rotations so we will see how those go. Lacking in the research realm so weighing the pros and cons of a gap year.

Members don't see this ad.

Research year, make connections/get good letter, kill step/level2, do well on aways. Try to find a mentor that can reach out to programs for you. ENT is a small field so people know each other, having a good mentor (like from a research year) can really do a lot for you

Reactions: 1 users
I already know its an extremely competitive field that is not typically DO friendly but I was still curious if anyone had any words of advice or any connections that could help me proceed into being one of the lucky ones to match. I am currently a OMS-III with a 250 step 1 and a 700 level 1, top percent of the class when it comes to pre-clinical grades, just started clinical rotations so we will see how those go. Lacking in the research realm so weighing the pros and cons of a gap year.
Audtion at former aoa programs, there’s around 15 I believe? Those will be your best bet…. Research year will go a long way though ..

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Audtion at former aoa programs, there’s around 15 I believe? Those will be your best bet…. Research year will go a long way though ..
Is there any lists of the former schools? I was trying to find a list but could only come across a couple schools like PCOM / Oklahoma State

Is there any lists of the former schools? I was trying to find a list but could only come across a couple schools like PCOM / Oklahoma State
here is a list of all programs that transitioned. You will have to look closer at each program to see if they are still accredited but most of them should be.

Reactions: 1 users
How do you know you'll even like surgery?

here is a list of all programs that transitioned. You will have to look closer at each program to see if they are still accredited but most of them should be.
Plus the st Barbaranas program in Nj that closed now merged with Rutgers ent program and I believe Rutgers still takes 2 DO’s every year in their ent program because of it..

How do you know you'll even like surgery?
Lots of people know they like surgery

OP do not do a research year. It’s next to worthless for DOs applying ENT as MD ENT programs still won’t want you and the DO programs won’t care. People saying to do one simply don’t understand the dynamics at play for DOs in ENT.

audition at as many former DO programs as you can, the DO match rate to ENT is ~40% so you need to be prepared for the possibility of not matching.

• Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
Lots of people know they like surgery

OP do not do a research year. It’s next to worthless for DOs applying ENT as MD ENT programs still won’t want you and the DO programs won’t care. People saying to do one simply don’t understand the dynamics at play for DOs in ENT.

audition at as many former DO programs as you can, the DO match rate to ENT is ~40% so you need to be prepared for the possibility of not matching.
Did you apply ent? I know someone first hand who is a DO who did a research year he said it did helped him match.. he had several MD interviews after his research year where he published in some high impact journals.. MD Programs absolutely do look at DO’s after research years in ENT, I will defer to his advice since he went through the whole process. I appreciate your input on this forum, but GS=\= ENT, I believe you are wrong about the 40% match rate as well, match rate is ~60% I believe, and goes up based on your scores. It’s tougher as a DO no doubt but if you have the scores and research it’s possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Did you apply ent? I know someone first hand who is a DO who did a research year he said it did helped him match.. he had several MD interviews after his research year where he published in some high impact journals.. MD Programs absolutely do look at DO’s after research years in ENT, I will defer to his advice since he went through the whole process. I appreciate your input on this forum, but GS=\= ENT, I believe you are wrong about the 40% match rate as well, match rate is ~60% I believe, and goes up based on your scores. It’s tougher as a DO no doubt but if you have the scores and research it’s possible.
I did not apply ENT. My best friend applied ENT (also got MD interviews btw) and my close friend group in medical school included 2 ENT residents. Did your friend match MD? Probably not given the data.

Match rate is not 60%, so you’re wrong. This past year it was something like 17/43 matched. 1 person matched MD ENT in 2021 and it was a fluke (I know their story). I also know a DO who did an ENT research year who says otherwise.

With the increase in DO applicants every year the match rate for DOs to ENT is going to go down because even adding 1-2 more candidates to the pool pushes down the match rate quite a bit.

I did not apply ENT. My best friend applied ENT (also got MD interviews btw) and my close friend group in medical school included 2 ENT residents. Did your friend match MD? Probably not given the data.

Match rate is not 60%, so you’re wrong. This past year it was something like 17/43 matched. 1 person matched MD ENT in 2021 and it was a fluke (I know their story). I also know a DO who did an ENT research year who says otherwise.

With the increase in DO applicants every year the match rate for DOs to ENT is going to go down because even adding 1-2 more candidates to the pool pushes down the match rate quite a bit.
He actually did match at his #1 MD ent residency at an academic center in the north east, he was not classified as a DO senior so it didn’t show up on our match list/data…

Last edited:
Perhaps our DO ENT residents can chime in

@Tragal Pointer
@Preston Garvey

what are your thoughts on the utility of research years?

I think research can help significantly if you are applying to MD programs. There are a handful of MD programs that seriously consider DOs and have taken them in the past; however a good rule of thumb when looking at MD programs is if they have a DO in the program already they likely will not take another.

That being said your best bet for matching ENT would be applying to former DO programs. DO programs consider research when accepting an applicant but the number one thing for matching at a former DO program is your audition rotation. I would set up as many 2 week auditions as possible at former DO programs. I would try to do at a minimum 7 auditions. I don’t know the DO friendly MD programs off the top of my head but I’d you are able to identify them I would rotate at the one you are most interested in.

Personally I wouldn’t do a research year. You have strong scores. Try to get some research done now. A combination of good scores and solid auditions will be the best bet at you landing a spot.

For MD programs, does class rank matter, especially if it's only really brought up indirectly in the dean's letter?