Advice for Rads reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GonnaBeADoc0000

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, basically this past year i applied to ortho and did not match. and am considering other fields to pursue instead of ortho and IR stuck out as very interesting to me.

my stats are 258 step 1 and 239 step 2.

will be doing a gen surg intern year.

can anyone guide me on my strength as an applicant as far as board scores go for rads? and would i have to match into a new intern year + an advanced spot in order to match next year or will i be able to apply for pgy2 spots in the match and go from there and have a good shot? and since there are only like 17 IR programs, would i do diagnostic rad residency then a IR fellowship? what are my chances just need some realistic and clear advice to someone who is having a change of heart and wanting to pursue something new?

Members don't see this ad.

The DR/IR match spreadsheet is a good place to gauge, especially under the rank lists section. Direct IR is probably one of the most competitive fields out there right now but there are plenty of programs that offer ESIR.

The DR/IR match spreadsheet is a good place to gauge, especially under the rank lists section. Direct IR is probably one of the most competitive fields out there right now but there are plenty of programs that offer ESIR.

how do i see this spread sheet? i think you linked something but it says it's not public and i cannot access it.

Members don't see this ad :)
how do i see this spread sheet? i think you linked something but it says it's not public and i cannot access it.

Oops. I have no idea why it keeps on doing this. I posted it with some spaces in there - please just remove them between the slashes and the . com

https:/ /docs. google. com/spreadsheets/d/1hcpl8w7PIVRCxeT1YYoBBFg8xiYkyAgbGLsf9Q55sCc/edit?usp=sharing

checked it out, got some good info. anyone else have any advice to share?

At my program, there’s absolutely no difference between the IR residency and ESIR except that the fellowship position in guaranteed for the IR residents but not for the ESIR. This being said, within the limits of the number of fellowship spots our program would try to keep their own (although some programs have the opposite mentality).

All this to say that despite your great step 1, it’ll likely be tough to match to an integrated IR residency BUT don’t let that deter you at all. Apply to both but realistically expect to match in diagnostics and pursue ESIR. When you map out potential programs, see how many ESIR spots they have.

So many people go into DR residencies want good to do IR and change their mind because they realize DR is actually pretty neat or their perception of IR becomes less favorable.

The change of IR training, doing ESIR and not being guaranteed a fellowship will screw a select few, but presumably with your 260 as a surrogate of your ability as a future resident, you’ll be fine. If you had some red flags that prevented you from matching, it could get hairy, but you’ll in all likelihood be fine matching into DR and later going into an ESIR spot should you choose.

The difference between IR residency and ESIR is not what people make it out to be. Personally, I think ESIR is a much better path for students to consider, but they want the IR residency title because it’s so competitive.

Reactions: 1 user
The concerns with ESIR are is that there is no guarantee for IR and that there will be more variability of what ESIR training will look like. The radiology program director oversees ESIR. The ESIR only requires 500 cases and one month of ICU. If you look at some of the more seasoned integrated IR residency programs (UVA) they have incorporated more clinical rotations and clinic even in the first 3 years to truly "integrate" clinical training.

The other potential advantage of a comprehensive integrated is that you can work on your deficiencies over the course of 5 years and the faculty will know you well. If you do ESIR at one organization and go elsewhere for the independent training, it takes a few months before the new faculty will feel comfortable enough to give you autonomy (so you may loose a few months of primary operator experience).

If you have any doubts about IR and would be happy doing DR, I would do ESIR. If you were between choosing surgery and IR , I would chose a quality integrated IR training program.

Oops. I have no idea why it keeps on doing this. I posted it with some spaces in there - please just remove them between the slashes and the . com

https:/ /docs. google. com/spreadsheets/d/1hcpl8w7PIVRCxeT1YYoBBFg8xiYkyAgbGLsf9Q55sCc/edit?usp=sharing

This is amazing. Looking forward to this year's version!