Advice for Reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

westsidestoryz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So after a few weeks of sulking, I am ready to re-apply for next year.

Major: Finance (Graduated), switched to pre-med during my senior year. Completed my pre-reqs in about a year.

Asian, California resident

Here are my numbers:

MCAT:
502. 125, 124, 127, 126 (Already registered for a retake for April. I was scoring 511-512 on the practice but failed on the real thing. Should have voided)

GPA:
oGPA: 3.35
sGPA: 3.39
Post-bacc GPA: 3.79 (19 units, all pre-req courses)

ECs:
ER department: 220+ hours continuing
Shadowing: 40 hours all MDs (Planning to shadow at least 1 DO)
Research: 1 year, no publication. Ended in August 2017
Medical clinic in Mexico: 84+ hours continuing
Free tutor for underserved students: 38+ hours continuing
Soup kitchen: 40+ hours continuing
Mission trip to Africa: 336+ hours
Couple leadership positions
Employment with a company that works with adults with mental disabilities.

MD schools I applied to:
Central Michigan: R
Cooper: Nothing yet
Loma Linda: R
Loyola: R
Wisconsin: R
Oakland Beaumont: R
Rosalind: R
UAB: R
Arizona: R
UCD: R
UCR: R
South Carolina: R
Wayne State: R

(Completed in August-September)

DO schools I applied to:
PCOM: R
Arizona: Waitlisted pre II
Lake Erie: Nothing yet
NYITCOM: R
Pacific Northwest: R
Chicago: R
Rocky Vista: R
Touro Cali: Nothing yet
Western-Pomona: Nothing yet

(Completed in August-October)

Gameplan:

MCAT: No excuses for the poor performance. Started studying now. Hoping for a 512-516 range to compensate for the first MCAT and low GPA.

GPA: Was thinking taking extra classes at my local CC. With how many units I have, it will not increase my overall, just my BCPM. I do not plan to enroll in an SMP.

ECs: Will continuing with my current activities. I do not plan to participate in more since I am working two jobs at the moment.

List of schools: I feel like I need to add more school. I did not for the first cycle because my MCAT was so low and I was limited to certain schools. But with a higher MCAT score, I plan to add plenty more, both MDs and DOs.

Timing: I need to submit my secondaries earlier. I feel like I was 1-3 months behind what it should have been.

Shadowing: I need to shadow a DO physician for my AACOMAS application.

Essays: Looking back on my essays, I know there are plenty of room for improvement. I did not utilize SDN as much, but I plan to consult SDNers for help.

Anything input on my gameplan? @LizzyM @Goro @gyngyn
I know I haven't received an official R for the schools but at this point, I need to plan for a retake. Any advice on anything you see here is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

Major: Finance (Graduated), switched to pre-med during my senior year. Completed my pre-reqs in about a year.

Here are my numbers:

MCAT:
502. 125, 124, 127, 126 (Already registered for a retake for April. I was scoring 511-512 on the practice but failed on the real thing. Should have voided)

GPA:

ECs:

MD schools I applied to:
Central Michigan: Nothing yet
Loma Linda: Nothing yet
Loyola: Nothing yet
Wisconsin: Nothing yet
Oakland Beaumont: Nothing yet
Rosalind: Nothing yet
UAB: Nothing yet
UCD: Nothing yet
UCR: Nothing yet
South Carolina: Nothing yet
Wayne State: Nothing yet

DO schools I applied to:
PCOM: Nothing yet
NYITCOM: Nothing yet
Pacific Northwest: Nothing yet
Chicago: Nothing yet

You won't get any love from the MD schools with that MCAT score. Those are donations. Are you aware of Loma Linda's mission?

MCAT: No excuses for the poor performance. Started studying now. Hoping for a 512-516 range to compensate for the first MCAT and low GPA.

GPA: Was thinking taking extra classes at my local CC. With how many units I have, it will not increase my overall, just my BCPM. I do not plan to enroll in an SMP.

ECs: Will continuing with my current activities. I do not plan to participate in more since I am working two jobs at the moment.

List of schools: I feel like I need to add more school. I did not for the first cycle because my MCAT was so low and I was limited to certain schools. But with a higher MCAT score, I plan to add plenty more, both MDs and DOs.

Timing: I need to submit my secondaries earlier. I feel like I was 1-3 months behind what it should have been.

Essays: Looking back on my essays, I know there are plenty of room for improvement. I did not utilize SDN as much, but I plan to consult SDNers for help.

I know I haven't received an official R for the schools but at this point, I need to plan for a retake. Any advice on anything you see here is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Your plans are sound. At this pint, it's NOT about raising the GPAs anymore, but showing that the you of now is not the you of then. If you're boning for MD, then the MCAT retake in mandatory, and scoring > 512.

There are some MD schools (and all DO) that reward reinvention. When you have your MCAT score, come back and then we can advise. But do not apply simply on a schools' floor. Many OOS public schools favor the home team.

Members don't see this ad :)

Your plans are sound. At this pint, it's NOT about raising the GPAs anymore, but showing that the you of now is not the you of then. If you're boning for MD, then the MCAT retake in mandatory, and scoring > 512.

There are some MD schools (and all DO) that reward reinvention. When you have your MCAT score, come back and then we can advise. But do not apply simply on a schools' floor. Many OOS public schools favor the home team.

Yes, Loma Linda's view fits strongly with mine (Christian, parents being missionaries, involved in church, etc)

So from your point of view, the MCAT (which will be definitely higher) is the single biggest flaw?

bump.

Update: I am searching for a new job (Having 2 jobs while it barely pays for my daily expenses causes me to focus less on MCAT and volunteers). Although it will most likely not be related to the healthcare field, I hope that the adcoms see that I needed to obtain a higher paying job to survive and focus on my apps.

The current job (working with adults with mental disabilities) have taught me so much in such a short period of time, and it will definitely be one of my most memorable experiences.

Any other inputs regarding my above posts will be greatly appreciated.

It is only Dec. Don't give up all hope for this cycle yet.

Your game plan sounds good on all fronts. You need to apply to more places. being from CA, even with your numbers, I would still apply to some UCs.

How were your LORs?

It is only Dec. Don't give up all hope for this cycle yet.

Your game plan sounds good on all fronts. You need to apply to more places. being from CA, even with your numbers, I would still apply to some UCs.

How were your LORs?
Its January soon so I thought I should plan ahead and apply right when the application opens.
I was using MSAR and I was nowhere near the numbers for the other UCs, which is why I only did a couple. But with a higher MCAT score, I hope to apply to more UCs. (I did apply to UCLA but I did not receive any secondary).

The LORs were from 3 professors and 1 MD. I believe 1 prof and 1 MD were really strong. I do believe the last 2 were decent.

Reactions: 1 user
Another bump

Update: I have decided not to take any classes and focus solely on my MCAT score and volunteer hours (No research). Would increases these two parts of my application be a considerable change from my first application?

Asians are an over represented minority, and California is notorious for producing a lot of premeds without medical school homes to go to. You need to pick up that MCAT to at least a 505 or higher if you want something in the DO realm. It is that competative now unless you come from a rural or disadvantaged area. Your GPAs are fine.

MD isnt going to happen unless, like goro said, you get a 512 or higher. Im more in the 515 camp. There are plenty of people who had 3.8 in undergrad doing all the things you are doing with 510+ MCAT scores. Why should they accept you when they can pick from people with a 3.8+ and 512+ MCAT score?

Always have a plan B. If you like surgery and clinic side of medicine, Look into podiatry school. Your stats are more than fine, and you will prolly get through the program. You might even get a scholarship with that MCAT as is.

Reactions: 1 users

Here are my numbers:

MCAT:

GPA:

ECs:

MD schools I applied to:
Central Michigan: Nothing yet
Loma Linda: Nothing yet
Loyola: Nothing yet
Wisconsin: Nothing yet
Oakland Beaumont: Nothing yet
Rosalind: Nothing yet
UAB: Nothing yet
UCD: Nothing yet
UCR: Nothing yet
South Carolina: Nothing yet
Wayne State: Nothing yet

DO schools I applied to:
PCOM: Nothing yet
NYITCOM: Nothing yet
Pacific Northwest: Nothing yet
Chicago: Nothing yet

(Completed in August-October)

Gameplan:

Hey, depending on your goals, your stats are fine for DO schools, but you definitely need to retake your MCAT to increase your chances. I applied last year with MCAT of 500 and had no response from any schools. I retook the MCAT and applied this cycle. I ended up hearing from a lot more schools and got accepted. As an Asian myself, it is definitely crucial to kill that MCAT score to make a big difference and I think that is the weakest part of your application so far, assuming you have good letters and PS to go along with it. GOODLUCK, you can do this :D!

Hey, depending on your goals, your stats are fine for DO schools, but you definitely need to retake your MCAT to increase your chances. I applied last year with MCAT of 500 and had no response from any schools. I retook the MCAT and applied this cycle. I ended up hearing from a lot more schools and got accepted. As an Asian myself, it is definitely crucial to kill that MCAT score to make a big difference and I think that is the weakest part of your application so far, assuming you have good letters and PS to go along with it. GOODLUCK, you can do this :D!
Should I cater solely to DO schools or take my chances with MDs again?

I agree with the above sentiment about increasing your MCAT and applying to more schools. It was a good move to focus on the MCAT instead of your GPA because schools seem to favor those scores a bit more.

That being said, the season is not over yet; you may get lucky. Have you considered applying to Caribbean MD schools? While there is a stigma there and may make things more difficult going forward, it may be your only option if/when you reapply.

I agree with the above sentiment about increasing your MCAT and applying to more schools. It was a good move to focus on the MCAT instead of your GPA because schools seem to favor those scores a bit more.

That being said, the season is not over yet; you may get lucky. Have you considered applying to Caribbean MD schools? While there is a stigma there and may make things more difficult going forward, it may be your only option if/when you reapply.
I will never consider applying to a Caribbean school. I will add more MD/DO schools in the states after the new MCAT score.

Reactions: 2 users
I will never consider applying to a Caribbean school. I will add more MD/DO schools in the states after the new MCAT score.

Like everyone is saying, getting a high mcat is crucial. You can also make yourself even more competitive by getting better letters having mediocre/decent letters may hurt you or not help you at all when you want those letters to be strong and pulling for you. For example I would rather have 3 strong letters rather than 4 with one being just decent. Definitely get some strong letters and that with a 512-516 would make you a pretty good applicant for even MD I think. In the case you apply DO, shadow a DO physician and get a letter I believe there are some DO schools out there that require a letter from a DO. Also, have someone you trust and is knowledgeable to edit your essays for you.