Need Advice: Reapplicant Essays - TMDSAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

user320193

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi - I am reapplying to med school this cycle and am wondering how much I should change my primaries and secondaries. For TMDSAS, I completely rewrote my PS and diversity essay, but kept the optional essay with some revisions/edits since it mainly pertains to one of my hobbies: writing. For my secondaries, I plan to completely redo some like for UTSW and Baylor, but plan to just edit others like McGovern. My McGovern interviewer mentioned that my secondaries were good and I was really proud of them - think my interview was a big part of why I didn't get accepted. I tried to contact the school for feedback in March but they said to contact them after their incoming class was confirmed. I am wondering if I should just edit them or completely rewrite them since my previous secondary essays are still my best experiences/answers to the prompts? Thanks for all the help!
 
I would suggest re-writing majority of the primary. You can edit/update secondaries for schools you interviewed at, but should still try to make major changes for the rest of them (especially if you only received 1-2 interviews).
 
I am wondering if I should just edit them or completely rewrite them since my previous secondary essays are still my best experiences/answers to the prompts?
It's hard without solid feedback from those who looked at your application previously. That said, if you are a strong applicant, you should have more than one answer to each essay prompt... but it's hard to say without knowing what prompts you are referring to.