Advice for reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cpb80

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone-

First off, congrats to whoever has received an acceptance, and to those still waiting, hang in there!

I would really appreciate some of your advice. I’m applying this year- some interviews, a few waitlists, a lot of rejections, and zero acceptances. Therefore, I am planning for the worst- reapplying. Here's a brief bio:

Cornell undergrad, URM
BCPM 3.31, CUM 3.37, Other 3.4
MCAT 28Q (PS-11, BS-9, VR-8)
Good EC's
Currently ESL teacher to Hispanic immigrants (3 days/ wk)

I am planning on re-taking the MCAT this April, and I am also considering taking 1 science course (neurobio), maybe two (the second one would be genetics).

Here are my concerns:
I am pretty confident that I can make my MCAT scores more competitive if need be, but I would also like to bring up my science GPA. I spoke to an advisor who suggested that improvement in my science GPA would be most beneficial. I am torn. I want to improve my MCAT (I’m kinda stubborn) as well as my BCPM GPA, but I am worried that trying to accomplish this at the same time might be counterproductive, especially if I don’t make a dramatic improvement in MCAT score or at least somewhat improve my science GPA.

These are my options, which would you choose?

MCAT + part-time job + no upper level science courses (BCPM GPA 3.31)
- Negative: unimpressive to adcoms if no dramatic improvement in MCAT and obviously no improvement in BCPM GPA
- Positive: most time to study for MCAT, don’t have to finish science courses if accepted before they end

MCAT + part-time job + one course (either neurobio or genetics); (BCPM GPA 3.36 with an A)
- Negative: unimpressive to adcoms if no dramatic improvement in MCAT and less time to study for MCAT, no dramatic improvement in BCPM GPA, spreading myself thinner, have to finish course even if accepted before they end; don’t want a W on transcript
- Positive: decent amount of time to study for MCAT, some BCPM improvement

MCAT + part-time job + 2 courses (neurobio and genetics) (BCPM 3.4 with two A’s)
- Negative: even less time to study for MCAT- spreading myself very thin, have to finish course even if accepted before they end; don’t want a W on transcript
- Positive: best possibility for most improvement of app

MCAT + part-time job + 2 courses (neurobio or genetics and statistics). *Stats b/c I did poorly the first time and it would be included in the BCPM GPA
- Negative: less time to study for MCAT, spreading myself very thin, adcoms may not want me to retake STATS, have to finish course even if accepted before they end; don’t want a W on transcript
- Positive: possibility for most improvement of app, STATS is less time consuming than genetics, STATS would be factored into BCPM

Wasn’t the best at cost-benefit analysis in undergrad. Thanks for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, you've certainly thought a lot about this. ;)

Have you spoken to any of the admissions committees? This is what I did when I reapplied. I ended up taking 2 courses (genetics & biochemistry) that they recommended as well as retaking the MCAT. I actually took the MCAT a year before I went back to take classes so I could have a lot of time to study for it. I was also working at a full-time job at this point, and I also I took the Princeton Review course to prepare because I like my time organized. Also, if you did poorly in stats, you may have to go ahead and retake that anyway because some schools do not accept anything below a "C" in required courses.

I really think your best bet is to talk with various admissions committees first to see what they advise. Don't focus on trying to fit everything in at once (job+MCAT+2 classes + volunteering), take some more time between things if you feel you need it.

PM me if you have any questions about reapplication.

And good luck ! :luck: :thumbup:

cpb80 said:
I am planning on re-taking the MCAT this April, and I am also considering taking 1 science course (neurobio), maybe two (the second one would be genetics).
My feeling is that you need a more long-term plan for increasing your chances. I don't think there's a one-semester fix out there for you. Taking a couple courses to raise your science GPA from 3.31 to 3.4 will likely not help enough. Neither will upping your MCAT and doing nothing else (assuming it's even possible improve your MCAT without taking some additional courses).

Here's what I suggest.

1. If you can prepare for the MCAT this Spring with a reasonable chance of scoring a 33, then take it April 2005. If not, then plan to take it August 2005 or April 2006.

2. Regardless of when you take the MCAT, start a quick (non-thesis) master's in biology this Spring.

3. In 18 months (June 2006), reapply to medical school. At this point, you will hopefully have a much-improved MCAT score, hopefully a 33 or better. You will also be almost done with your master's degree and have a new 4.0 graduate GPA (or very close to this). This will make you a very competitive applicant, and will go a long way to make up for your relatively low undergraduate performance.

Members don't see this ad :)
ntmed said:
My feeling is that you need a more long-term plan for increasing your chances. I don't think there's a one-semester fix out there for you. Taking a couple courses, and raising your science GPA from 3.31 to 3.4 will likely not help enough. Neither will upping your MCAT and doing nothing else (assuming it's even possible improve your MCAT without taking some additional courses).

Here's what I suggest. I talk about this in more detail on my web site under the topic "Second Chance".

1. If you can prepare for the MCAT this Spring with a reasonable chance of scoring a 33, then take it April 2006. If not, then plan to take it August 2006 or April 2007.

2. Regardless of when you take the MCAT, start a quick (non-thesis) master's in biology this Spring.

3. In 18 months (June 2007), reapply to medical school. At this point, you will hopefully have a much-improve MCAT score, hopefully a 33 or better. You will also be almost done with your master's degree and have a new 4.0 graduate GPA (or very close to this). This will make you a very competitive applicant, and will go a long way to make up for your relatively low undergraduate performance.

Thanks for the reply. That was a lot of "food for thought". Would you happen to know of any "quick (non-thesis) master's in biology this Spring"? Thanks again for your help :thumbup:

A 32+ MCAT with your current GPA will probably get you into an MD program in the states, provided you have good clinical stuff and some research. The biggest bang for your buck would be to just study your ass off for that mcat and get over a 32 on it, if that's possible. If you don't think you can get that kind of score, then the plan described above will probably be required.

If I were in your shoes, I would give the MCAT my best shot this spring, and only take it if youre confident in your ability to get a great score. If you couldn't take it, then prepare for the postbacc work.

JohnBasedow said:
A 32+ MCAT with your current GPA will probably get you into an MD program in the states, provided you have good clinical stuff and some research. The biggest bang for your buck would be to just study your ass off for that mcat and get over a 32 on it, if that's possible. If you don't think you can get that kind of score, then the plan described above will probably be required.

If I were in your shoes, I would give the MCAT my best shot this spring, and only take it if youre confident in your ability to get a great score. If you couldn't take it, then prepare for the postbacc work.

Thanks for your advice, and for actually having the patience to read my ridiculous post. Aside from a higher MCAT and GPA, I could use some "six pack abs" Mr. Basedow. Sorry, it's late. :oops:

Stats are average for a URM. Are you convincing the adcoms with your personal essays, and interviews that you want to practice human medicine. Alot of people think they get rejected or put on hold because of numbers, but they never consider all the other "little things" (which are fact big things)
Also, letters of rec. Keep in mind that they look at everything...Don't take personal essays, interviews, and letters of rec for granted. In your analysis, you left these out....I believe your commitment(this is illustrated by essays, letters, interviews) to practice human medicine is way more important than the measure (mcats grades) of whether you can make it through the the medical school.. Be wise and broad in your analysis, don't look at it to improve numbers...I've have known people were similar stats that have gotten into top 10 schools with those numbers.

consider taking a 5 credit EMT course at a Technical school. You'll get tons of health care experience. When I volunteered at a hospital I didn't get to do anything except deliver food and file paperwork. At least if you do the EMT thing u get to give meds etc and can back up your case as to why u want to be a doctor better

cpb80 said:
Thanks for your advice, and for actually having the patience to read my ridiculous post. Aside from a higher MCAT and GPA, I could use some "six pack abs" Mr. Basedow. Sorry, it's late. :oops:

I don't think your post is ridiculous, you're just being cautious. I suspect you'll get in somewhere off of a waitlist at least, and if not...well if you can boost the mcat a bit you should be good to go. Having aweseome abs are a product of a clean diet and doing heavy ab work to promote hypertrophy of the rectus abdominis and obliques :)

Wow, your profile sounds almost exactly like mine! I applied with all of your same stats and ECs and was not admitted (not to say you won't). I am reapplying again now with one difference: I did a post-bac program at BU. One or two courses is not going to improve upon a GPA with 4 years of coursework behind it. I opted to prove to adcoms that I can hang with the difficulties of med school. I did well in the BU GMS program and just recieved my first med school acceptance: BU. I also retook the MCAT with marginal improvement (that exam is the bane of my existance) while in the post-bac program. Perhaps if I had been able to focus solely on the test my score would have been better but I didn't want to risk turning in a late app with no significant improvement in my MCAT score. Of course, this was simply a judgement call. The program additionally helped forge relationships with faculty on the adcom that could vouch for me personally, as well as write significant letters of recommendations. They read and re-read my PS, advised me on what other extracurriculars I could do, and not to mention provided continual support and encouragement. So, this is my biased suggestion on how to improve your app. But don't count yourself out yet for this cycle, there is plenty of time left! G'luck!

I retook the MCAT last April. That spring semester I took genetics, human phys, and the second semester of biochem. It did take time from studying for the MCAT, but I saw the courses as good prep for the Bio Sciences section (my lowest score from my first MCAT). Honestly, the rest of my prepation for the MCAT was minimal (I was just being lazy...didn't cut my friends off like I should've). Bio Sciences went up 3 points. Writing sample also went up. Verbal and Phys stayed the same (Thank God!). I worked part-time up until the week before the test.

What's your Science GPA trend? Grades going up? Staying the same? Be honest with yourself...How successful do you think you'll be taking neurobio and genetics? For me, genetics helped for the MCAT. I've taken a neuro class...not much help on the MCAT, but I think adcoms are pleased that I was successful in my upper level bios. How many hours do you plan to take? Easy non-science courses?

Is it necessary for you to work next semester? The job should be the first to go.

Make sure your application shows how dedicated you are to medicine. Get great LORs...Make sure you personal statements reflects who you truly are...your insights...all that jazz.

Apply early.

John Basedow's head freaks me out.