Advice for reapplicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alphax0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
CA resident with 3.77cGPA, 3.82 sGPA majoring in Genetics from UCI and a minor in medical anthropology. For the past year and going forth I've been a laboratory manager and researcher assistant at an Immunology lab in my institution's school of medicine.

MCAT is 30S on the retake (8 PS, 9VR, 13 BR). I looked in the retake topic and it advised me not to take again. My score was taken on 8/2010, would it still be valid for this coming cycle?

Graduated 2010 and immediately after was hired as a laboratory manager at the UCI School of Medicine. Was able to be coauthor on three papers. Have had leadership experience in teaching undergraduate students in the lab. Managed supplies and needs of graduate and postdoctorates. I resigned the position this Feb. since the lab was having financial hardships.

Shadowed as a clinical observer since Sept 2010 on a weekly basis at my universities medical center. At his clinic I saw ultrasounds, counseling, and watched him perform caesarians.The doctor is also a professor who teaches residents and I was able to sit in during his rounds and teaching.

After two attempts with no success, I asked my counselor and she told me it sounds like my app is catered towards the phd route. And said I need hours volunteering. I was a late decider in pursuing medicine so I do not have volunteering hours during my undergrad.

I did not apply to DO but I was accepted by St George's quickly in the 2010 cycle. I heard though that Caribbean schools would hurt my chances of US residencies so I would like to attend a school in the US preferably.

Considering I am out of school, is there anyway I can become employed at a hospital? I have heard EMT certification is a way to go. Are there any other options? I'm kind of at a loss of what I should do. Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Dang, you should have gotten in somewhere.

Don't take your MCAT again, it's fine and I think is good for 5 years.
Maybe you need to look at your LOR's and your personal statement.
Sometime you have to apply multiple times and broader.
If you only applied in CA, that is very difficult to get into even with perfect numbers
I would apply DO, Caribbean is not the better choice. You will have a hard time finding a residency that will take you.
I be curious to know how many schools you applied to and where.
If you really want a hospital job usually CNA or Lab tech are good places to start.

Last edited:
Dang, you should have gotten in somewhere.

Don't take your MCAT again, it's fine and I think is good for 5 years.
Maybe you need to look at your LOR's and your personal statement.
Sometime you have to apply multiple times and broader.
If you only applied in CA, that is very difficult to get into even with perfect numbers
I would apply DO, Caribbean is not the better choice. You will have a hard time finding a residency that will take you.

1. I believe they are actually good only for 3 years :)
2. Yes.
3. Yes.
4. Yes.