Advice for resume + couple questions:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PharmTechFTW

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

First off, I am a complete newbie. In the past, a career in the pharmacy department has crossed my mind, but lately I have decided to go for it. Starting with Pharmacy Technician, obv.

I heard of a pharmacy in a grocery store near me is hiring. When I went up there tonite, I was told there are 3 other applicants currently being considered for the position (I failed to ask what position that was, unfortunately). I told her I am studying to pursue a Pharmacy Tech career, so i guess i meet the requirements, so far. By the way, what positions are there in the pharmacy department? I guess it varies depending on the company, etc. Well, she told me to go to Kroger.com and fill out the application online, then fax my resume to her. I thanked her for her time, and she gave me her business card.

My background: No college education, just 8 years experience as a GM for a Papa Johns. Once I started thinking about it, it seems the two professions have alot in common! Such as, getting the order to the customer quickly and correctly, inventory control, etc. and many others.

What I need now is, advice on how to make my resume the best of the 3! I made another one from my current copy, trying to make it more appealing to the position.

Would any members here be so kind as to maybe even take a look at it, and tell me what to change or add to it? It would really help me out. It would mean the world to me if i got this job!

Thanks for any comments and/or advice, i am all ears! 🙂
 
Hello,

First off, I am a complete newbie. In the past, a career in the pharmacy department has crossed my mind, but lately I have decided to go for it. Starting with Pharmacy Technician, obv.

I heard of a pharmacy in a grocery store near me is hiring. When I went up there tonite, I was told there are 3 other applicants currently being considered for the position (I failed to ask what position that was, unfortunately). I told her I am studying to pursue a Pharmacy Tech career, so i guess i meet the requirements, so far. By the way, what positions are there in the pharmacy department? I guess it varies depending on the company, etc. Well, she told me to go to Kroger.com and fill out the application online, then fax my resume to her. I thanked her for her time, and she gave me her business card.

My background: No college education, just 8 years experience as a GM for a Papa Johns. Once I started thinking about it, it seems the two professions have alot in common! Such as, getting the order to the customer quickly and correctly, inventory control, etc. and many others.

What I need now is, advice on how to make my resume the best of the 3! I made another one from my current copy, trying to make it more appealing to the position.

Would any members here be so kind as to maybe even take a look at it, and tell me what to change or add to it? It would really help me out. It would mean the world to me if i got this job!

Thanks for any comments and/or advice, i am all ears! 🙂

Just for the record (not trying to discourage you), Kroger does not pay well.

Kroger where I live pays pharmacy interns, whom have all graduated with a BS (required at my school) and are in the process of completing pharmd course work, ~$10/hr to start. These are people with 5-7 years of college. Pharm techs get pretty darn close to minimum wage.

Once again, not trying to discourage. Just pointing out that since you don't know what the position is, it may not pay what you expect.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
On that note, it certainly could help during an interview to know what position you were seeking. Trying to equate an unknown position in a pharmacy to your previous work experience holds little weight when you have no title for the position.
 
Just for the record (not trying to discourage you), Kroger does not pay well.

Kroger where I live pays pharmacy interns, whom have all graduated with a BS (required at my school) and are in the process of completing pharmd course work, ~$10/hr to start. These are people with 5-7 years of college. Pharm techs get pretty darn close to minimum wage.

Once again, not trying to discourage. Just pointing out that since you don't know what the position is, it may not pay what you expect.

Thanks for the reply. Pay rate is not the main issue for me as of right now. I would just love the experience. I was already aware that Pharm techs don't get paid very well too 🙁 It just seems to be something I would enjoy doing, then possibly making the decision to go to school.
 
On that note, it certainly could help during an interview to know what position you were seeking. Trying to equate an unknown position in a pharmacy to your previous work experience holds little weight when you have no title for the position.

Good point, dangit!

Thanks!
 
Just try to make your resume very professional and show that you have a track record of success. Highlight your strengths and show that you have excellent customer service skills, a sense of urgency, detail oriented, etc... Also state the position you are after and your career goals. Don't overdo it with tailoring your resume for the position, because it will look contrived. But more importantly, act and dress professionally each time you go in to follow up. Speak with the pharmacy manager and make a good impression! This will be more important than the resume.