Advice for someone looking to become a Pharmacy Technician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Richard O'Mally

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

For someone who is self-studying for the PTCB exam to apply to become a Pharm Tech in retail, would you recommend me to go into an academic program that offers hands on experience before taking the PTCB exam?

Obviously someone who has taken classes will look better on a resume, and in finding jobs, but do you believe that those programs are a necessity or just a helpful-program?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

No, they're a waste of time.

Hi,

For someone who is self-studying for the PTCB exam to apply to become a Pharm Tech in retail, would you recommend me to go into an academic program that offers hands on experience before taking the PTCB exam?

Obviously someone who has taken classes will look better on a resume, and in finding jobs, but do you believe that those programs are a necessity or just a helpful-program?

Thanks.

Not a necessity and definitely a waste of money. Some places (not all) once you get a state cert. will pay to get your PTCB simply for ratio purposes for how many techs - to - pharmacist they can hire. Self-study and pass it.

Hi,

Thanks.
I did one of those classes in high school so it was free for me. It was helpful with learning the brand/generic names and classifications. I ended up taking the exam 2 years later and had to re-learn the material by self-studying so a class isn't really necessary.