advice for sopho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmb81

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a couple questions. By the time i apply (2007), i will have 2 years and 1 summer worth of research all in one lab. Should i try to diversify my application and try and get into another lab to gain more experience? I currently work as a Nursing assistant in an OR with minimal patient contact but i have observed lots of operations over the past year. Is this considered clinical experience? I have about 100 hrs volunteer work as an EMT but that was 2 years ago. I really dont have much time to volunteer between work, school, and research. What does everyone else do?

Members don't see this ad.

Two years and a summer should be enough time. However, it won't mean squat if you can't explain what you did, how you did it, and what it all means. Your clinical experience is enough for "regular" med school and overkill for MD/PhD.

-X

cmb81 said:
Just a couple questions. By the time i apply (2007), i will have 2 years and 1 summer worth of research all in one lab. Should i try to diversify my application and try and get into another lab to gain more experience? I currently work as a Nursing assistant in an OR with minimal patient contact but i have observed lots of operations over the past year. Is this considered clinical experience? I have about 100 hrs volunteer work as an EMT but that was 2 years ago. I really dont have much time to volunteer between work, school, and research. What does everyone else do?