Advice for Starting Ca-1

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by Star2285, 05.20.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Star2285

Star2285 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    As happy as I am for intern year to be over (im doing surgery), I am nervous for ca-1. I am pretty used to surgery by now (which I never thought I would say). Any advice for starting? Thanks.

-Star
    www.shortwhiteconfessions.com

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. bcat85

bcat85 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Read baby miller your first month or two, read for your cases, and know when to call for help. You'll get it.

4. WholeLottaGame7

WholeLottaGame7 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Just remember, any mistake you make, someone else has made before, and worse. Keep everything in perspective. Life will be stressful in entirely new ways, but overall much more fun and interesting. Ask lots of questions early, you can get away with some dumb ones as a CA-1 that will look much worse if you have to ask them as a -3. Try to learn something each day and from each person you work with; hopefully it's something good, but sometimes learning the way NOT to do something is equally as valuable.

Otherwise, just remember all the things you learned in kindergarten: be respectful to others, say please and thank you, clean up your messes, share, help others, etc. You'd be surprised how many people lack these basic skills. Or then again, having done a surgery internship (in NYC of all places), you probably won't be...

5. Jay K

Jay K nullum gratuitum prandium 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Never panic. Step back, take a breath, fall back on your ABC's.

Read and study all the time. Ace that first ITE and get out of the crosshairs; Then you'll know how much you can cut back and maintain.

About the ads