Advice for Starting Ca-1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Star2285

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As happy as I am for intern year to be over (im doing surgery), I am nervous for ca-1. I am pretty used to surgery by now (which I never thought I would say). Any advice for starting? Thanks.

-Star
www.shortwhiteconfessions.com

Members don't see this ad.

Read baby miller your first month or two, read for your cases, and know when to call for help. You'll get it.

As happy as I am for intern year to be over (im doing surgery), I am nervous for ca-1. I am pretty used to surgery by now (which I never thought I would say). Any advice for starting? Thanks.

-Star
www.shortwhiteconfessions.com

Just remember, any mistake you make, someone else has made before, and worse. Keep everything in perspective. Life will be stressful in entirely new ways, but overall much more fun and interesting. Ask lots of questions early, you can get away with some dumb ones as a CA-1 that will look much worse if you have to ask them as a -3. Try to learn something each day and from each person you work with; hopefully it's something good, but sometimes learning the way NOT to do something is equally as valuable.

Otherwise, just remember all the things you learned in kindergarten: be respectful to others, say please and thank you, clean up your messes, share, help others, etc. You'd be surprised how many people lack these basic skills. Or then again, having done a surgery internship (in NYC of all places), you probably won't be...

Never panic. Step back, take a breath, fall back on your ABC's.

Read and study all the time. Ace that first ITE and get out of the crosshairs; Then you'll know how much you can cut back and maintain.