Advice for student loan payment plan for psychologist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroJaguar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I earned my PsyD in clinical psychology and have accrued 31k in federal student loan debt.

I am currently on a two year fellowship where I make $46500 this academic year and $48500 next academic year. After these two years I expect to make at least 100k a year (neuropsychology). I would be eligible for PSLF (but hey so were the 98% of people who were rejected so I don't want to rely on it)

Other debt:
No undergrad debt
No CC debt
Car lease ($300 per month payment)

Savings:
20k in retirement account
2k emergency fund (had to dip in for my move for fellowship)

Does anyone have advice for which payment plan to choose? I am not going to be able to save much money these next 2 years in a high COL area so I don't think I'll really be contributing much to retirement or savings. Lower payments for the next 2 years would be very helpful.

Thank you for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

@NeuroJaguar - SDN is hosting a webinar tonight that might be useful for you on student loans - I recommend attend and ask your question there:

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Reactions: 1 user