Advice for student loan payment plan for psychologist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NeuroJaguar

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello!

I earned my PsyD in clinical psychology and have accrued 31k in federal student loan debt.

I am currently on a two year fellowship where I make $46500 this academic year and $48500 next academic year. After these two years I expect to make at least 100k a year (neuropsychology). I would be eligible for PSLF (but hey so were the 98% of people who were rejected so I don't want to rely on it)

Other debt:
No undergrad debt
No CC debt
Car lease ($300 per month payment)

Savings:
20k in retirement account
2k emergency fund (had to dip in for my move for fellowship)

Does anyone have advice for which payment plan to choose? I am not going to be able to save much money these next 2 years in a high COL area so I don't think I'll really be contributing much to retirement or savings. Lower payments for the next 2 years would be very helpful.

Thank you for your time!
 
@NeuroJaguar - SDN is hosting a webinar tonight that might be useful for you on student loans - I recommend attend and ask your question there:

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!