Advice for Students Entering Pre-Med

Started by blappe
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

blappe

Goku
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello!

I'm an incoming freshman at the University of Missouri, Columbia in pursuit of medical school. I graduated high school with a 3.5 GPA, and at the same time I graduated with an AA from a local college with a 4.0 GPA. Obviously academics is a big part of your undergrad, but I was looking for advice outside of making good grades that will help me become more well-rounded. I know clinical, volunteer, and research experience is important so if you can inform me more on those things and other experiences that could benefit me, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
 
Get A's, make friends with similar goals, find a good mentor who can show you the ins and outs of your school (this can be an advisor, professor, upperclassman, or all the above), think about getting involved with research.

Oh and have fun.
 
Have fun, make some lasting friendships, and find ECs that you are passionate about and stick with them. It's easy to get stuck in the academic and more rigorous requirements, but don't forget to enjoy your time and do activities that you love. These things are going to ultimately shape you into a more interesting and confident person, which will not only help you in your medical goals, but also in your day to day life as a human being.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello!

I'm an incoming freshman at the University of Missouri, Columbia in pursuit of medical school. I graduated high school with a 3.5 GPA, and at the same time I graduated with an AA from a local college with a 4.0 GPA. Obviously academics is a big part of your undergrad, but I was looking for advice outside of making good grades that will help me become more well-rounded. I know clinical, volunteer, and research experience is important so if you can inform me more on those things and other experiences that could benefit me, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Take a very very light load for your 1st semester and don't try to attempt more than you can. Once you ruin your GPA, it's ruined forever.
 
Don't underestimate your company. Friends who strive to do well will motivate you to do so. Friends who want to have a great time all the time, including when they shouldn't, can be a hindrance.
 
Cant stress that enough^ I know kids who were brilliant, but spent time with the wrong crowd and their habits went down the drain. Also, friendly competition is good, but anything more than that is unhealthy and obsessive. You do NOT want to be that gunner.
 
I'm in the process of applying for medical schools now and have had a chance to reflect on what has worked for me and my friends and things that didn't work over the last three years. In the end, you are going to need great grades and a solid MCAT to get into medical school (extra-curriculars seem to only add to someone who already has great grades and a good MCAT score and are not substitutes for them).

As a freshman coming in, it can be daunting to think about needing to perform well for the next four years into order to get into medical school. But you don't need to think about everything you have to do for the next four years, rather you should focus on what you have to do in the first semester. Most people who drop out of pre-med do so in their first year, some after their first semester. If you are able to focus on doing the things you need to do to get a 4.0 your first semester, you will have figured out the type of school/fun balance and habits that will carry you through the rest of school. That transition to first semester is hard, there are just so many other things that you have competing for your attention. If you can successfully figure out your routine in your first semester, the rest of school should come naturally. Just like a soccer game, if you score 4 goals in the first 20 minutes, no way you are going to lose. On the other hand, if you go down a goal or two early, it's tough to bounce back from that.

So my advice is to just focus on doing whatever you can to get a 4.0 your first semester. The rest will follow naturally.
 
Cant stress that enough^ I know kids who were brilliant, but spent time with the wrong crowd and their habits went down the drain. Also, friendly competition is good, but anything more than that is unhealthy and obsessive. You do NOT want to be that gunner.
#gunningsincedayone
Quote from a good friend:

In all seriousness you actually want to be a sniper not a gunner.


Know the difference.
 
Last edited:
Don't feel compelled to follow the traditional path and go straight into med school. It is perfectly ok to take 1-2 gap years and this puts a lot less pressure on your academic schedule, which in turn lets you have good work life balance. As others have said, take an easier first semester to ease in, develop study habits and just have time to enjoy yourself.
Above all else, be honest with yourself. If you are struggling, if you are partying too much, if you hate your classes... don't try and pretend it's not a problem. Good self-reflection is an invaluable skill. Many of the people I saw (and still see) struggle most are those who cannot admit when something is wrong, and instead push onward without dealing with fundamental underlying issues.
Finally, keep an open mind. Way too many people force themselves through pre-med even though they hate everything about it. As above, be honest with yourself, and don't commit yourself to a field because your friends or parents want you to. Take your first year to try out many classes and see what you really are interested in learning more about. (I say this as someone who started college planning on PolSci and ended up in Psychology)
 
Have a good personality. Do things to develop your personality. Medicine is a social career.
 
Have fun, take it easy, take your time, get help when you need it (free tutoring?), at least start finding research opportunities, clinical volunteering, and non clinical volunteering you enjoy. What I wish I knew was that there's no race, and it's not a good idea to have AP credit.
 
Do what you love and love what you do.

Do things because you like them and want to do them, not because you think they'll impress Adcoms.

Never, ever be afraid to ask for help. There will be lots of resources for you to take advantage of.

Do your homework.

Do as many practice questions as you can.

Hello!

I'm an incoming freshman at the University of Missouri, Columbia in pursuit of medical school. I graduated high school with a 3.5 GPA, and at the same time I graduated with an AA from a local college with a 4.0 GPA. Obviously academics is a big part of your undergrad, but I was looking for advice outside of making good grades that will help me become more well-rounded. I know clinical, volunteer, and research experience is important so if you can inform me more on those things and other experiences that could benefit me, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
 
If your excuse for not going out on Friday night is "I don't have time too much work", unless you are working on the side a major amount(and less be honest maybe 5% of pre-meds do) it means you aren't managing your time as well as you should. Know when to study and make that time count. Know when to make the other parts of college count. You won't really grow as a person if you can only do one but not the other.
 
In regards to admissions, traditional pre-med EC's, a high MCAT, and a high GPA are great. Have these alone, and you will be seen as common, without any color, plain. Adcoms are interested in those with a spice of personality; we all have one, but not all of us express it.

Express yours, turn it into great ECs. Whether it is music or sports, just express who you are.