Advice for studying for the DAT using DAT Bootcamp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cden08

Reaction score
I got a 25 on the DAT and that was thanks to DAT Bootcamp and some student mentors. I feel blessed and just want to pay it back. I'll just mention a few key points for how I studied for each section on the DAT Bootcamp website. Watching review videos and answering the chapter questions are obvious, so I won't mention doing that for every section.

BIO: I actually didn't watch the videos. I preferred the biology academy notes. I thought they were awesome. Also, do not skip out on the bio bites! I know some of the bio bite questions are super easy, but they cover all of the material taught in the chapters. Use bio bites as an assessment tool to help focus your studying on your weak points.

GC: Download the chapter outline and take notes by annotating the chapter slides. Unlike Biology, I feel like GC and OC contain a finite amount of information so these are high yield sections.

OC: Annotate the chapter outline, same as for GC. But make sure to do the reaction bites daily. There are tons of random reactions on the DAT, so daily exposure to have those locked in long-term memory is crucial.

RC: Bootcamp does a great job of showing you a bunch of reading techniques. Find the technique that works best for you. I tried several different techniques during the practice exams before settling on what worked best for me.

PAT: It's like learning a new language. It just takes a lot of practice until it clicks. And then when it does click do it daily. I did 15 minutes a day. I wouldn't do more than that.

QR: There are a lot of common and recurring question types that show up on all of the practice exams. So make sure you get those down pat. I feel like there were always several questions that threw me because I hadn't seen something like that before, but if you are an expert on the common questions you'll do great.

Just as a reference for how long I studied: I quit my job and studied about 5 hours a day, six days a week for 3 months. So, I put 300+ hours into studying, but I don't think that much time is necessary for a good score.

Overall, I'd say Bootcamp did a great job preparing me and I'd highly recommend them.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user