advice for sub 30 MCAT, few EC's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SunnyBunny7

the newest St. Lunatic
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new to SDN and just started reading some of the posts on this forum in the past few months. I've read a lot about people who had sub 30 MCATs and still got in somewhere, because they had a high GPA and a ton of EC's. But I don't really have a lot of EC's so I was hoping for some advice on what to do. My MCAT's a 29N (10V, 9PS, 10BS) and my total and bcpm GPA's are between 3.7-3.8. As for my EC's, I started volunteering at a hospital ICU this past February (nothing too special, just the standard hospital volunteer), and I worked for 6 months in a research lab on campus (I assisted a post doc w/ his experiments, doing more than washing dishes, but I didn't have my own projects). I was in a few clubs on campus during freshman and soph years (I'll be a 4th year undergrad this fall) but wasn't an officer or anything, and I play intramural basketball now and then (which probably doesn't matter), but that's about it.

Sorry for the long description of my life story but I was hoping for some advice. Should I retake the MCAT this August? Should I apply now anyway? Should I not apply and get more EC's? Or??????? I'm not picky about med schools and will go anywhere I get accepted. And I'm not planning on applying to any top 10 schools. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,
If I did not know any better, I swear I was reading about myself a year ago. I was in the same boat as you a year ago. I took the April MCAT and also got a 29(9-10-10) and my sci gpa is also 3.8. I went to a state school, had no healthcare or medical exp at all (yeah I know:mad:), worked alot during school and little volunteer exp. Anyway, my desire was just to get into medical school as well, since all the schools are good anyway. In any case, IMO, just apply. If you apply to a good range of school, I think you'll get some interviews. I managed to get four interviews and our stats our very close. I personally was happy with a 29, I had so much work during that semester, I was going to back out. Anyway, I focused on my overall application, which I felt was good. You look like you have a good overall application. You should apply if you just want to get in somewhere. Some advice, APPLY EARLY and APPLY ALL AROUND. If you have any questions, just email or PM me.

David

Hey, Sunny Bunny, welcome to SDN!! :) I'd say in situations like this your essays and LOR's are going to be really important. Make sure they're great. And I don't think you need to retake the MCAT; a 29 is fine, espcially with your GPA, which is great. But start doing some more clinical and/or volunteering that you can talk about at interviews and put on your application. Make sure there's something you can talk passionately about that will make you stand out from the crowd. Adcoms want to know there's a shining personality in there, not just another pre-med wanting to get into their school. Your name makes it sound like there is! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for all your advice. After two days of deliberating I decided to go ahead and apply. I'll be ready to submit my app in about a week so hopefully that'll help my chances. Thanks again! :D

If you weren't from California I'd say you were set... unfortunately Cali schools are really hard to get into. I would suggest you apply out of state to private schools that are nice to out-of staters.

Good luck :)

SunnyBunny -
Welcome to SDN! When choosing your next volunteer position, choose wisely. In fact, you might want to dump the "typical" hospital work and go for something that'll really stand out. For example....

Call your county public health department and ask about volunteering in one of their speciality clinics. I did this and got placed in the STD clinic, which eventually turned into a full-time job across the hall as a Tuberculosis Investigator. At the STD clinic I took patient histories and assited in exams - great, "colorful" and not-so-typical experiences. As a TB investigator, I'm working on a CDC grant to help manage and investigate outbreaks in immigrant populations.

EVERY premed works in a hospital and can tell a story about "the time I watched a chest tuble put in a trauma victim." Use your volunteer time wisely, and do something different!

Hey SunnyBunny :) !

I agree with Posey--try to find something creative to do this summer as it will really help out with interviews in giving you something neat to talk about. And BTW, don't go putting how 'ordinary' your volunteering was on your personal statement! Portray yourself as unique and you'll do great! Good luck :D !

Be happy that your weaknesses are the MCAT and EC's. These can always be corrected, while conversely a low GPA is incredibly difficult to raise above a certain point. Your decision to apply is a good one, particularly since you're not hell-bent on getting into one of the most competitive schools (that said, go ahead and apply to some top tens if you can afford it - seemingly weaker applicants have been accepted at these schools). The worst that can happen is you'll have to reapply. In that case, you will certainly be accepted in the next cycle, because your weaknesses will have been eliminated and you will have the experiences of this cycle to learn from. Good luck.

Sunny Bunny your MCAT's are OK and you have strong grades. Find things in your application which set you apart from everyone else and make you unique. Your essays will be very important for you. Make sure they're strong.

Also apply to ALOT of schools ...especially middle and lower teir.

Good Luck!