Advice for the Fall 2020 Semester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samurai5511

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently applying to medical school and have just sent in my primary applications, I am currently a super senior and have about 13 hours left to graduate. I am taking an extra year because I am getting a business administration minor and delayed taking Chem. 1 till my second semester freshman year rather than what people normally do by taking it the first semester.

My current semester consists of:

Fall 2020

Accounting 2 - 3 hrs

Ochem. 2 Lab - 2 hrs

Entrepreneurship- 3 hrs

Physics 1 Lab - 1 hr

Cultural Psychology- 3 hrs

For the Spring semester, my last course was Physics 2 lab. After this lab, I would be ready to graduate.

My idea is to spread out my courses between two semesters instead of having to just take a 1-hour physics 2 lab next semester. This means I would just be taking Ochem. 2, physics 1 lab, and cultural psychology this semester for a total of 6 hours. Then, next semester I would take my Accounting and Entrepreneurship courses along with my physics 2 lab for a total of 7 hours. I am thinking of doing this to give myself more time to work on my secondaries and to get actual in-class time for my business classes. I have enjoyed the interactions I have had with my business professors and would rather have in-person courses. My first concern is that for the planned courses section on my AACOMAS and TMDSA primaries I put my current schedule as what I currently have on my Fall 2020 schedule. My second concern is that medical schools may look down upon taking fall and spring semesters that consist of 6 and 7 hours respectively rather than my original plan of taking a 12 hour semester in the Fall and coming back in the Spring to finish up my 1-hour lab.

Another thing to know is I have not started pre-writing my secondaries because I just finished my MCAT recently. So I will be starting from scratch.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your projected coursework is non-binding. As long as you get your pre-reqs in before matriculation you’ll be fine. Similar to your number of credits. Med schools won’t care. Saying you wanted more time this semester to work on secondaries/spend time with family/volunteer/adapt to online learning/ect. isn’t going to hurt you.

Reactions: 1 user
Your projected coursework is non-binding. As long as you get your pre-reqs in before matriculation you’ll be fine. Similar to your number of credits. Med schools won’t care. Saying you wanted more time this semester to work on secondaries/spend time with family/volunteer/adapt to online learning/ect. isn’t going to hurt you.
Thanks, I think I'll take the light courseload then.