Advice for the Fall 2020 Semester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

samurai5511

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently applying to medical school and have just sent in my primary applications, I am currently a super senior and have about 13 hours left to graduate. I am taking an extra year because I am getting a business administration minor and delayed taking Chem. 1 till my second semester freshman year rather than what people normally do by taking it the first semester.

My current semester consists of:

Fall 2020

Accounting 2 - 3 hrs

Ochem. 2 Lab - 2 hrs

Entrepreneurship- 3 hrs

Physics 1 Lab - 1 hr

Cultural Psychology- 3 hrs




For the Spring semester, my last course was Physics 2 lab. After this lab, I would be ready to graduate.

My idea is to spread out my courses between two semesters instead of having to just take a 1-hour physics 2 lab next semester. This means I would just be taking Ochem. 2, physics 1 lab, and cultural psychology this semester for a total of 6 hours. Then, next semester I would take my Accounting and Entrepreneurship courses along with my physics 2 lab for a total of 7 hours. I am thinking of doing this to give myself more time to work on my secondaries and to get actual in-class time for my business classes. I have enjoyed the interactions I have had with my business professors and would rather have in-person courses. My first concern is that for the planned courses section on my AACOMAS and TMDSA primaries I put my current schedule as what I currently have on my Fall 2020 schedule. My second concern is that medical schools may look down upon taking fall and spring semesters that consist of 6 and 7 hours respectively rather than my original plan of taking a 12 hour semester in the Fall and coming back in the Spring to finish up my 1-hour lab.

Another thing to know is I have not started pre-writing my secondaries because I just finished my MCAT recently. So I will be starting from scratch.
 
Last edited:
Your projected coursework is non-binding. As long as you get your pre-reqs in before matriculation you’ll be fine. Similar to your number of credits. Med schools won’t care. Saying you wanted more time this semester to work on secondaries/spend time with family/volunteer/adapt to online learning/ect. isn’t going to hurt you.
 
Your projected coursework is non-binding. As long as you get your pre-reqs in before matriculation you’ll be fine. Similar to your number of credits. Med schools won’t care. Saying you wanted more time this semester to work on secondaries/spend time with family/volunteer/adapt to online learning/ect. isn’t going to hurt you.
Thanks, I think I'll take the light courseload then.