Advice for the non-matched applicant

Started by Ava2007
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ava2007

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As the title of my post indicates, I applied (unsuccessfully) to derm this last application cycle. I did match into my first choice for a prelim position in IM and am struggling now with the big decision about whether to reapply to derm next time around.

I do love the field, spent 4 months doing derm rotations at my home program as well as at other programs as a 4th yr student and can't really see myself doing anything else. To that end, I have begun contacting programs about a fellowship and have some promising responses. My question is actually manifold:

1. Should I reapply next app cycle (eventhough it's unlikely that my app will be much better) or should I wait and reapply during my fellowship (if I secure one)?
2. How important is Step 3 to programs?
3. What are the chances that I will match into derm if I do a derm fellowship at a respected institution and does it matter whether the fellowship is 1 or 2 yrs?
4. Do programs ever stop using Step 1 scores as the major criterion as to whether you are a worth candidate? (My score is ok, not great but better than average and Step 2 was MUCH better).

Thanks for any and all info/advice!