Advice for those newly starting post-bacc pre-med programs...

Started by junebuguf
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

junebuguf

Yo ***...Pimp My AMCAS
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello Fellow SDN Post-Bacc'ers,

I just completed a yearlong post-bacc pre-med program with all the pre-requisites (Bio, Phys, Gen Chem and Orgo) and have some words of advice to impart upon those of you just starting a post-bacc program this Fall. For whatever its worth, take the following advice with the proverbial grain of NaCl.

First off, dont bite off more than you can chew. Introductory Chem, Physics and Bio might only be 12 credits, but there is a ton of material to learn in these classes (particularly if you've never taken them before), labs almost always involve more work than the paltry one credit they are typically assigned, and you WANT TO DO WELL IN THEM. Very well (think all A's, especially if you have a low ugad gpa). So stick with 12 credit hours your first semester and ace them. If you feel comfortable, take an extra 3 credit bio class in Spring.

How hard this year gets really depends on your own individual abilities, but again, don't try to fill your plate with organizations that you think you have to be heavily involved in and volunteering that you feel you have to conquer this year. How you do academically is far more important this year than which pre-med organizations and how many volunteer hours you amassed. Prioritize, be conservative in estimating how much time you will realistically be able to volunteer and be involved in orgs without adversely affecting your grades.

Don't take calculus based physics. This a mistake many pre-meds make. Calculus based physics is usually much harder than algebra based physics, and most of the people taking the calculus sections are engineering/math/physics majors who you do not want to compete with for grades! Also, MCAT physics questions are designed to be solved using (usually simple) algebra, nothing fancy. So unless calculus based phys is the only option at your school, avoid it.

Try to get into Honors classes. This is really important. Most schools offer Honors sections of almost all the basic science classes (Bio, Chem, even Physics and Orgo. Though I would stay away from Honors Phys unless you are inordinately gifted at math/completing the mental gymastics that physicists do!) I have stressed this before in other threads. Honors classes are so much better than the regular sections for intro classes. They are smaller, taught by full professors, have more engaging activities and though you will not learn 'more,' what you do learn will be more in-depth. Med school admissions commitees are always more impressed with applicants that challenge themselves in hard classes. Getting an A in Honors Chemistry and Biology looks very good on your transcript, and is worth the extra effort required to succeed in these classes. (And if you do decide to take that Honors class, make *sure* you dont load up on too many credits/extracurriculars, because you will have to work for an A in Honors.) And lastly, Honors classes provide excellent opportunities to get recommendations from professors who have really gotten to know you over the course of an entire academic year. This can be a good or bad thing. If you dont like going to class or are not very participatory in class, it will probably mean a poor letter if you even get one at all. On the other hand, if you are diligent, attend every lecture and participate in class dicussions, you will recieve glowing letters that will be far better than what most pre-meds receive. Remember, these letters are forwarded to the pre-med advising office and they write the final committee letter--getting good letters from Honors professors defintely distinguishes your work from the average pre-med.

Orgo is hard! Not in terms of how difficult the concepts are, because they are no difficult to master than some physics topics (in fact, it is not nearly as conceptually difficult as physics), but in terms of the massive amounts of memorization involved. In this regard, it is a lot like medical school--tons of facts (in this case, reactions, reagents, mechanisms, chemical shifts...) that you will (probably, unless your professor is lenient and tests you on theory rather than reactions, but don't count on it) have to just cold-hard memorize. So MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT FALL BEHIND IN ORGO, because you will not be able to cram all those facts into your head overnight!

I just completed taking orgo this summer over about 10.5 weeks. I initially planned on taking a physiology class concurrently and also studying for the MCAT, which I had hoped to take this month. After my first week, that all changed. I dropped Physio, pushed off MCAT studying and am now planning on taking the MCAT in April. I feel I'm relatively smart, but I have never worked harder for anything than that A in Orgo. It looks like I'm going to get a B/B+/maybe A- if I'm lucky in Orgo II, and thats even though my numbers are at least 20 points above the class average. In our class this is because some girl is a superfreak (an ode to the late, great, Rick James. He's Rick James b*tch!) crammer, getting 95's on every exam while the class average is a 63. The point is, no matter how 'smart' you are in solving difficult conceptual problems, someone will always be there to kick your butt in Orgo because they can shove boatloads of junk into their head and retain it. So dont slack off.

And a last note on Orgo: taking Orgo over 10.5 weeks in the summer is social suicide. My life (and everyone elses, for that matter) consisted of 1.5 hours of lecture a week, 3 hours of lab, then go home and study for 3 hours with a lecture exam every Friday and a lab exam every other Friday. I lamented signing up for it over the summer initially, but I now think this might have been the best way to approach it. Taking Orgo when you've got other classes to worry about might not be such a good idea, precisely because there is so much memorization. You want to take your exams right after you've read over a chapter because thats when its still going to be there. If you have to go off and read another chapter of Bio or Physics, odds are you're not going to remember which reagent oxidizes an aldose to a aldonic acid (Bromine water) and which oxidizes it to an aldaric acid (Sodium Borohydride....I think....see, I'm forgetting already!) So I recommend taking it in the summer without any other distractions. Of course, this means you will have to put off practically everything else (jobs, internships, et.) to do well, so choose wisely. You may elect to take only the lecture over the summer, with the labs to follow the year following (in your application, or 'glide' year), which might be a very smart option because time is a premium in a 10-11 week summer semester and you don't want to have to worry about lab work when your lecture grade is more important (unless you plan on pursuing an MD/PhD program in which case the lab would be just as important.)

Be consistent! You already know this, but it bears repeating. In Fall and Spring semesters, exams fall sporadically over several weeks--rarely will you have one week where you take exams for all your classes (and God help if you do) with a few free days to decompress afterwards. Upon completing one exam, its on to the next--no matter how hard you worked on that second Chem exam, there will be a physics exam to look forward to next Monday, and then a Bio exam on Thursday...not to mention you have to writeup two labs by noon tomorrow. There is always going to be another hill to climb, and of all the challenges ahead of you this year, I believe this is the toughest to overcome--to find the motivation to study for another exam on Monday night when you've busted your butt on another class all weekend. If you did poorly in udnergrad, and it looks like a lot of us did, here is where you need to change your behavior. This is easier said than done, and God knows was I depressed for a while back in early Fall '03, but in time, I came to expect that you just have to suck it up and get the job done, because this is how its going to be for the first two years of med school and getting used to that is part of becoming a good candidate for med school.

Keep an eye towards the MCAT. If you have time, a very useful and efficient study method for the MCAT is to buy a good review book and read over the chapters in the review book covering the topics you are learning in lecture. You want to read over those topics to reinforce specific concepts that relate to the MCAT so that they will be there when the time comes. Remember, the MCAT will not test every concept you learn in these basic classes, only about 70-80%, many of the concepts that you will learn are never tested on the MCAT.


So thats my advice...at least all that I can think of for now. For those of you just starting, you're in for a lot of ups and downs. You will really learn how committed you are to medicine this year and if you did poorly in udergrad, you will probably surprise yourself by how well you can perform if you truly are dedicated. Of course, there are many challenges beyond this year, which I am off to face, and they may indeed be harder, but I believe the first year is always the hardest, so chug away and don't get discouraged...its all gravy once you learn the ropes! 👍

If you have any questions, ask away.

- Junebug
 
ADDENDUM:

Also learn (and if its hard, just force yourself) to get to know your professors. I wasnt one to particularly go to class and participate in lectures or talk to my professors after class and in their office hours, and I really feel this hurt me this year because though I took many Honors classes, I lost out on the opportunity to get great rec letters all because I never made more of an effort to get to know the professor. I thought just getting the highest score on exams would be enough, but its not. You really have to make an effort to get to know the professors, so talk to them in their office hours. Ask questions in class, think actively during the lecture, instead of just passively recording notes. Active thinking yields questions--questions are good! All professors love questions, and if you ask one or two good ones a week, they will definetly appreciate (and remember) you. Other ways to get to know your professor are by inquiring about their research, asking them their opinion about topics related to their discipline thats in the news....something, anything. DO NOT EXPECT TO GET A REC LETTER BY JUST DOING WELL IN THE CLASS. I wish I hadnt wasted so many golden opportunities for good rec letters. I can't stress this enough--you only have so many opportunities to get good letters, so don't blow them by not going to class and getting to know the prof.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
GWU, I was going to do it at Georgetown, but in the end, GWU just 'felt' better and theyre both expensive. Plus, Foggy Bottom has a metro stop and Georgetown doesnt!

Where are you in DC?
 
junebuguf said:
GWU, I was going to do it at Georgetown, but in the end, GWU just 'felt' better and theyre both expensive. Plus, Foggy Bottom has a metro stop and Georgetown doesnt!

Where are you in DC?

I live in MD. I am doing my post-bac at College Park.
 
Thanks for the great post! 👍

What are your plans for the next academic year? More classes, travel, work?
 
sidewalkman said:
Thanks for the great post! 👍

What are your plans for the next academic year? More classes, travel, work?

Anything I can do to help and help pass on the knowledge. Just wish someone had given me some of this advice when I was starting out.

My immediate plans are as yet undecided. I'm defintely taking more classes! With my gpa I need at least two years of academic rehabilitation before submitting my AMCAS. I'm really just completely unsure as to where, and under what circumstances. I was thinking maybe completing a second bachelors because it would be more structured as well as let me get financial aid but that also requires taking some other classes that I really dont want to take, as well as a lot of red-tape to get some of the classes I want. So I'm looking into other post-bacc programs. Perhaps I'll try the program at Georgetown or maybe Loyola--they're both one year programs and offer financial aid. We'll see...
 
junebuguf said:
Anything I can do to help and help pass on the knowledge. Just wish someone had given me some of this advice when I was starting out.

My immediate plans are as yet undecided. I'm defintely taking more classes! With my gpa I need at least two years of academic rehabilitation before submitting my AMCAS. I'm really just completely unsure as to where, and under what circumstances. I was thinking maybe completing a second bachelors because it would be more structured as well as let me get financial aid but that also requires taking some other classes that I really dont want to take, as well as a lot of red-tape to get some of the classes I want. So I'm looking into other post-bacc programs. Perhaps I'll try the program at Georgetown or maybe Loyola--they're both one year programs and offer financial aid. We'll see...

WOW, Junebug, thanks for all of that. I am starting my post bacc in a couple of weeks and I am a bit freaked out. I have no problem with working hard and cutting off the rest of the world for good grades, but still scared nonetheless. So, how does not taking orgo prior to the MCAT's affect your score? I figure, since you will be taking the MCAT in April an orgo is not taken until May and June, how much orgo is necessary to do fairly well on the orgo portion of the MCAT? Did you take Princeton or Kaplan? One thing I do not understand about your last post is that I thought you finished your post bacc, you say that you will try the Georgetown or Loyola post bacc's?? Dont get that.

But, anyway, thanks so much for all of your advice.
 
jules0328 said:
WOW, Junebug, thanks for all of that. I am starting my post bacc in a couple of weeks and I am a bit freaked out. I have no problem with working hard and cutting off the rest of the world for good grades, but still scared nonetheless. So, how does not taking orgo prior to the MCAT's affect your score? I figure, since you will be taking the MCAT in April an orgo is not taken until May and June, how much orgo is necessary to do fairly well on the orgo portion of the MCAT? Did you take Princeton or Kaplan? One thing I do not understand about your last post is that I thought you finished your post bacc, you say that you will try the Georgetown or Loyola post bacc's?? Dont get that.

But, anyway, thanks so much for all of your advice.

If it helps someone just starting out, I feel good about writing up that diatribe....I do it all for the kids. <<be cool, stay in school>> 😎

I dont think you'll have to wall yourself off from the rest of the world to do well. It really just depends on your own individual ability and how much work *you* need to put in to get the grades you want. Dont be scared, once you get started, its remarkably rereshing and gives you a sense of purpose to everything you do. If you're like me and were just kind of wandering through life with a job you didnt really like, then finding a realizable goal to pursue with passion and dedication is, in and of itself, reward enough. I say this because it is true that you will find out how much you want to be in medicine this year and not because the classes are necessarily that hard. Its because doing well in them requires a phenomenal amount of dedication--if getting straight A's in these classes, everyone would have a 4.0 BCMP gpa.

Incidentally, being scared is a good thing!!! I cant tell you how many nights I've stayed up late into the night (or all night sometimes) out of sheer fear that I hadnt covered everything for a coming exam. Fear is a excellent motive force--if you harness it and the anxiety that accompanies it, you'll do well for yourself.

I'm actually planning on taking upper level ('advanced') bio classes in a one year post-bacc program somewhere. Most post-bacc programs offer programs for people who've already completed the basic pre-reqs.

I havent taken the MCAT yet, I was planning on taking it...today, actually, but since I didnt have time to prepare over the summer, I decided to take April of next year.

Good luck with your coming year...
 
Junebugf, have you looked at Penn's Special Science program? Several different options, and it's still not too late to apply.

yayyyy, my 50th post! 😀
 
I start the UPenn pre-med program in a few weeks...your post definently helped me re-organized things in my mind. I feel worked over after moving to Philly across country and walking the city over looking for housing (just signed a lease today!).

Thanks.
 
Hello,
I start an MPH program in about a month. I have decided to apply to medical school. I have looked over my transcript and need to take my science classes over and complete all med school requirements. So here is my question: should I start taking some science classes on the side or should I just wait and apply to a formal post bac program? (Just to clarify, I was going to register for BIO and LAB at a community college. I am thinking that the less classes you have to take in post bac the quicker? )I plan on applying to post bac programs that have MCAT prep and help on all aspects of the med school process.
Any help is appreciated. Thank you...