Advice for those with lower stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jenbrookeg11

Reaction score
I write this for those, who like myself, have browsed this forum and felt like an unworthy candidate for an optometry program. I will not share specifics or scores, but advice that has helped me during my personal journey. I cannot stress this enough, YOU ARE MORE THAN WHAT PAPER SHOWS. I encourage everyone to do their best taking the OAT, volunteering or gaining experience in the field, but do not feel limited by this. Every program (to some degree) is looking for that 4.0 GPA student/400 OAT/mile long list of extra-curriculars, if that is you congrats! You have earned it! For others who don't fall close to that category this is for you!

A little background... As a non-traditional student who did well but didn't shine academically, I was worried about my chances. I chose to "find myself" after undergrad, which was an exceptionally challenging period in my life. After some time I began working in optometry. The position offered room for growth and a balanced career in healthcare. I was not at a point yet where it was feasible to continue school, so instead I worked hard to meet finanical goals and advance in my position. I developed a love for the eyes. If you have passion for the field it shows guys! My time to shine came during the interview, which highlighted my passion for optometry. I pride myself on talking to anyone about anything though - practice if you don't! Know your strengths, improve and grow. MOST IMPORTANTLY *find a program that values your journey, is vested in your success and that views all you have to offer beyond academics.* I would not have had the opportunities I did had I not researched extensively, partipated in countless webinars and reached out to the schools directly. Network. Network. Network. Find the positive in every obstacle and realize that things don't aways happen as planned, but they work out for the best.

My first application cycle.. crickets and rejection. I almost gave up. I did not invest the time and effort either.. Second round - 3 interviews. I was even told by an interviewer not to give up, apply elsewhere and she could see the potential, but she felt the committee would place me on hold. Not the most ideal scenerio, but hey if they cannot see my value why would I stress acceptance there? In the end I've found the school of my dreams and await acceptance into the program of my dreams♡

DO NOT GIVE UP.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Where did you apply and what were your stats if you don't mind me asking? I'm feeling low and hopeless right now, but your story sounds similar to what I am experiencing. I am so passionate about optometry but I feel like nobody will look past my stats and struggles. Thank you in advance!

Where did you apply and what were your stats if you don't mind me asking? I'm feeling low and hopeless right now, but your story sounds similar to what I am experiencing. I am so passionate about optometry but I feel like nobody will look past my stats and struggles. Thank you in advance!
Not a fan of stats. With that being said, I scored under a 300 OAT. Nothing too low. My GPA is around a 3.3, but I am taking a few courses so I expect it to be a little higher upon matriculation. Optomcas calculated it to be a 3.6 if I continue making A's. Keep in mind, it is so important to research programs to get a feel for what they look for in a candidate. What worked for me may not for you in that sense. I applied to several schools but only Eastern U.S. I found Indiana incredibly helpful for crafting my personal statement and deepening the criteria I used to pick where I was most interested. I didn't quite feel like the best fit as far as what they were looking for within their program though. I found NOVA helpful and welcoming as they have a non-traditional (5 year program & pop program as well). Salus uses the CASPer test (reminded me of an ethics and moral based exam) that is just as important as say the OAT, so I valued that. A doctor is more than just a smart individual.. personality is important! The program that appealed most to me was KYCO for a variety of reasons. Visiting the campus most definitely peaked my interest!

Members don't see this ad :)
Not a fan of stats. With that being said, I scored under a 300 OAT. Nothing too low. My GPA is around a 3.3, but I am taking a few courses so I expect it to be a little higher upon matriculation. Optomcas calculated it to be a 3.6 if I continue making A's. Keep in mind, it is so important to research programs to get a feel for what they look for in a candidate. What worked for me may not for you in that sense. I applied to several schools but only Eastern U.S. I found Indiana incredibly helpful for crafting my personal statement and deepening the criteria I used to pick where I was most interested. I didn't quite feel like the best fit as far as what they were looking for within their program though. I found NOVA helpful and welcoming as they have a non-traditional (5 year program & pop program as well). Salus uses the CASPer test (reminded me of an ethics and moral based exam) that is just as important as say the OAT, so I valued that. A doctor is more than just a smart individual.. personality is important! The program that appealed most to me was KYCO for a variety of reasons. Visiting the campus most definitely peaked my interest!
Thank you for replying, I only ask because "low stats" has a different meaning different for each person. I am glad you were able to get in and I think you will be an excellent Optometrist. Thanks for giving us low stat students hope!

Last edited:
Thank you for replying, I only ask because "low stats" has a different meaning different for each person. I am glad you were able to get in and I think you will be an excellent Optometrist. Thanks for giving us low stat students hope!
I understand completely! Every program has not only a specific range of stats they are looking for, but also skills/attributes they believe to form a great optometrist. A recruiter once told me that if you see a 3.6 gpa average for a past year, that means half scored somewhere below and the other above. That would mean that a 3.25 may be lower, but not the lowest they accepted. Similar concept for the OAT.

Thank you so much for the compliment! I wish you all the best! I shared hoping my journey would inspire someone else, or atleast that others would relate and keep pushing through. I chose to go back to school to raise my GPA, prepare for the first year studies and show I was committed. It wasn't the most ideal scenerio with covid and all else, but if you fight for what you wish to accomplish you WILL succeed. Reach out to the programs I mentioned and see if maybe they can tell you where to strengthen your application. It helped me tremendously. I hope it does for you too!

Reactions: 1 users