Advice for Withdrawn M2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

strawberry_mochi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN members!

I had just withdrawn from an MD school at the end of M2 year for personal reasons. I am in need of any and all advice on being able to get accepted to other medical schools!
Here are my stats:
3.89 cGPA (3.92 sGPA)
33 MCAT
Grades in M1 and M2 years are roughly half B's and half C's
Have not taken STEP 1
Lots of EC in both undergrad and med school

1. I'm planning to become a resident in the state I'm currently in to increase my chances for other schools here. Do you recommend that I apply to OOS MD schools as well?

2. I'm planning to apply to DO schools, which will require me to start over from M1 year. However, for MD schools, how likely will I be able to transfer and start from M2 year? Or would I have a better chance if I start over at the new MD school as well? Could I try both transferring and reapplying to the same school?

3. During my year off, I would like to shadow DO physicians and work in health-related fields (i.e. scribing, clinical research) but how's pursuing another degree or SMP?

4. I took my MCAT in 2011 so it is highly recommended to retake it, correct?

5. Most importantly, how transparent should I be about my "personal reasons" in my application?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Re-matriculants from US MD schools are extremely rare.
Transfers generally require that you be in good standing at the school from which you are transferring, usually with a recommendation from your dean.
You would need to take the new MCAT.
You can bet that your Student Affairs dean will get a call from any school that might consider interviewing you. What is he likely to say?
If you don't explain the reason for your withdrawal, we will presume a reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
I don't know much about transfer situations other than how difficult and rare they are. You need to ask yourself several things
1) Do you really want to pursue medicine for a career given what has occurred to you. M2 out of 4 years of med school and residency is just a fraction of the overall process to becoming a doctor
2) What caused what happen to you to happen to you? Specifically you not being able to pursue medical school anymore. I don't mean just saying what the event was, specifically how did this event trigger a response in you that you don't want to be at this school anymore? What did it do to you personally, mentally, emotionally and how have you changed from it?
3) What can you do to overcome the issues in your life that have arisen and build off them and become better from them in the long haul? This is by far and away the most important thing to agonize over and until you have an idea about this nothing else matters
4) How can you avoid something like this from happening again, regardless of whatever field you choose to pursue?

These are the questions to focus on and are what matter. Not "can my credits transfer to a new med school and I have to avoid retaking M1?"

Good luck you clearly have the ability to extremely well in whatever field you end up pursuing given your past accomplishments.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Unless your issues were health issues, you'll be DOA at my school. Really, you had your chance, and it's time to do something else.

If they were mental health issues, you'll be looked at even more finely with a scanning electron microscope. We've seen med school break even healthy students.

Hello SDN members!

I had just withdrawn from an MD school at the end of M2 year for personal reasons. I am in need of any and all advice on being able to get accepted to other medical schools!
Here are my stats:
3.89 cGPA (3.92 sGPA)
33 MCAT
Grades in M1 and M2 years are roughly half B's and half C's
Have not taken STEP 1
Lots of EC in both undergrad and med school

1. I'm planning to become a resident in the state I'm currently in to increase my chances for other schools here. Do you recommend that I apply to OOS MD schools as well?

2. I'm planning to apply to DO schools, which will require me to start over from M1 year. However, for MD schools, how likely will I be able to transfer and start from M2 year? Or would I have a better chance if I start over at the new MD school as well? Could I try both transferring and reapplying to the same school?

3. During my year off, I would like to shadow DO physicians and work in health-related fields (i.e. scribing, clinical research) but how's pursuing another degree or SMP?

4. I took my MCAT in 2011 so it is highly recommended to retake it, correct?

5. Most importantly, how transparent should I be about my "personal reasons" in my application?

I just wanted to provide an update. I took the new MCAT and got a 513 and then reapplied to many medical schools. I will be attending St. George's University. They were very understanding of my situation and accepted me within a week of my interview.

Reactions: 1 users
I just wanted to provide an update. I took the new MCAT and got a 513 and then reapplied to many medical schools. I will be attending St. George's University. They were very understanding of my situation and accepted me within a week of my interview.
jfc.
Did you seriously withdraw from an allopathic school to re-matriculate into a Carrib who are infamous for dropping people like lava rock / do poorly in match?
:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

Reactions: 1 users
jfc.
Did you seriously withdraw from an allopathic school to re-matriculate into a Carrib who are infamous for dropping people like lava rock / do poorly in match?
:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

he/she withdrew for non-stated personal reasons. So it's not that simple.

OP good luck. you know what you're getting into. update this thread come residency time please.

This thread. 2 total posts. Conclusion: troll.

Reactions: 1 user
Wait, guys, i Withdrawing from medical school punitive? I thought you could be readmitted if you had personal reasons.

Wait, guys, i Withdrawing from medical school punitive? I thought you could be readmitted if you had personal reasons.

Withdrawing =/= LOA. OP was describing a withdrawal. A leave of absence (LOA) is a break taken for personal reasons. Not ideal, but it's better than doing poorly or failing out.

Reactions: 2 users
Withdrawing =/= LOA. OP was describing a withdrawal. A leave of absence (LOA) is a break taken for personal reasons. Not ideal, but it's better than doing poorly or failing out.
Ooohh okay that's a huge relief. I thought that Medical school was super unforgiving of personal issues/medical problems and I was a little uneasy :p

If this is a troll post, I'm impressed. OP would have waited a year to pull it off!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app