Advice from MCPHS current students

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eyeball97

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I was wondering if I could get connected to some current MCPHS optometry students for advice for someone who is starting Optometry this fall. Also, what things do you really like and hate (if any) about this school? I have heard some negative things like you are going to have to repeat your whole year if you fail one class but I'd like to hear from actual students there. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am in the same position and am also interested in hearing from current students.

Hi there! Congratulations on your acceptance! I have an upcoming interview at MCPHS via zoom on June 7th :xf: and was wondering if there were any tips you could give me on the interview. Was your interview open or closed? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there! Congratulations on your acceptance! I have an upcoming interview at MCPHS via zoom on June 7th :xf: and was wondering if there were any tips you could give me on the interview. Was your interview open or closed? Thank you!
Hey! Thanks. I think it was closed file but I also thought that the person that interviewed me knew somerthings about me. So I am not really sure on that. To be honest, it was very easy and mostly conversational. Just prepare to answer the basic questions like why optometry and why MCPHS. Also, have multiple questions to ask them about the school. There is also a writing sample which isn't that bad either. Good luck and I hope you'll get in.

Reactions: 1 user
Current student here...just don't fail! Honestly if you work hard you will do just fine! I love optometry school, but I have always wanted to be an optometrist. We have a pretty great and open administration (they want to hear feedback) who wants the school to be the best it can be. The professors are ALL available and helpful (I haven't had one that was really unreasonable). Things I hate: Worcester (but I am a California girl through and through), the absence policy (some professors are VERY strict about coming to class, maybe COVID will change this), contingencies (these are extra lectures/times that you HAVE to come to class other than scheduled class...when you have so much material to learn and not enough time, you have to add more time to learn...I get it, but am not a fan of this concept. Some professors have tests on Fridays at 5pm...it makes it hard to have a life outside of school), and finals week I am not a big fan of (you have like 7 hard classes in 5 days that are all cumulative, it's hard to do really well on finals). My first year I only had 1 professor record lectures, I think this is going to change in the future, especially since we are probably going to do a hybrid format next semester. I think there are a lot of changes going on, but you'll get through it!

Reactions: 2 users
Current student here...just don't fail! Honestly if you work hard you will do just fine! I love optometry school, but I have always wanted to be an optometrist. We have a pretty great and open administration (they want to hear feedback) who wants the school to be the best it can be. The professors are ALL available and helpful (I haven't had one that was really unreasonable). Things I hate: Worcester (but I am a California girl through and through), the absence policy (some professors are VERY strict about coming to class, maybe COVID will change this), contingencies (these are extra lectures/times that you HAVE to come to class other than scheduled class...when you have so much material to learn and not enough time, you have to add more time to learn...I get it, but am not a fan of this concept. Some professors have tests on Fridays at 5pm...it makes it hard to have a life outside of school), and finals week I am not a big fan of (you have like 7 hard classes in 5 days that are all cumulative, it's hard to do really well on finals). My first year I only had 1 professor record lectures, I think this is going to change in the future, especially since we are probably going to do a hybrid format next semester. I think there are a lot of changes going on, but you'll get through it!
Thank you so much. These are so helpful.