Advice from people who had needle based vasovagal syncope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Destalchemy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently read in a study, 12% of med students had a vasovagal response in the operating theatre at one point or another. As I read on, it stated 0 of the 700 sample size reported a needle based phobia. The most commonly reported procedure that caused it was a laparotomy where 35% of them felt sick. Yet i watched one and felt nothing.

So its safe to say some shenanigans is going on within my body cause I dont actually have a concious fear of needles or blood. Pretty sure Im just responding to the fear of the vasovagal response at this point. I haven't actually passed out in a long time like I would as a kid (only happened less than a dozen times) so Ive definitely seen the progress and will just continue to expose myself to it.

Im wondering if theres anyone who had this deter them away from medicine entirely? Theres was a small portion of those med students who reported wanting to go into surgery and changed to medicind because of the symptoms they were having. These guys didnt have needle based phobias (though they may have at one point and got over it) so Im wondering if theres a possibility I could be in that group but its so severe that instead of just going to medicine instead of surgery, I have to leave healthcare.

I feel as though mine is not severe at all compared to others. Do I just volunteer in the ER or something, let them know I may have to sit down at certain points, and go crazy? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I felt nauseous/sick during surgeries while shadowing, as well as when watching an ingrown toe removal. I also had to step out during a couple of ob/gyn surgeries early on in third year. However, I also found surgery to be fairly uninteresting, and went into medicine with the explicit plan of doing a non surgical specialty. In the end, I could watch eye surgeries and various procedures without issue - I think you just get used to it, if it’s not a severe reaction to begin with.

Certainly, if it’s not actually an issue for you, you shouldn’t worry about it.

Reactions: 1 user
I feel like having watched 10 seasons of the Walking Dead has de-sensitized me to seeing the innards of a human being.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I stared too long at a placenta after a delivery. 1.5 hours of pushing, night shift, low hydration, but honestly I guess I was a little squeamish, and I ended up passing out falling backwards, landing on the back of my head.

That cued me to go shadow more intense things at the VA, and after a few CABGs and total knee/hips I no longer needed to sit on the stool behind the anesthesia machine anymore.

Desensitization works as long as you take it slow and understand your limits. Gradually build up your exposure until you can handle it. I was initially afraid that medicine might not be for me because of this but I eventually got over it.

Try to shadow some surgical procedures to start with. If you do feel like you are going to pass out go sit against a wall and do it.

Reactions: 1 user
I had issues as a pre-med shadowing ophtho surgeries. As a med student, only real issue was during a BKA (i had to leave the room lol)

Otherwise, my issues with needles and going vasovagal is only when theyre used on me.

I’ve had one instance where I assisted a nurse changing a port a cath needle at my job. Just a strange mix of how much strength I was using to keep the toddler still, how I was standing, not having had enough to eat or drink that day... I definitely got tunnel vision and had to focus on my breathing to keep myself from going down. It got real scary for a minute, the nurse and I both thought I was going to hit the floor. But it hasn’t ever happened again, so I’m not exactly sure what to make of the situation.

Smells get me a lot more than sights do. I realize I will have to get over that. Mostly I just make a terrible face when people smell bad.

One of my favorite things at my current job though is people that have a vasovagal response when something touches their eye. I've had quite a few people pass out when I give them eye drops.