Advice from present pharmacists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

llllinhis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently attending 0-6 pharmacy school and I recently finished my first year. Now I am back home in California and I am filling out internship applications online and I'm also calling the pharmacies at Walgreens, Rite Aid, etc. (I can't even get job shadowings at Walgreens). So far I did not get any replies from any of them.

I feel like I am falling behind because I know people who live in New Jersey and they were able to get internships and work as a pharmacy technician. I am just afraid that I will not get a job as a pharmacist because I have no experience in pharmacy besides the fact that I volunteer at one. In addition, I never work in my life before. I am 18. Should I just go back to the same place and volunteer?

California is one of the most difficult states to find a position in, unfortunately. You also may be filling out the wrong applications - I don't believe you're legally allowed to intern anywhere until you're enrolled in the professional component of school.

There are a two things that you need to consider. Pharmacies are not likely to hire a student who is unable to work during the school year, which assuming you return to New Jersey for next year, you won't be able to do. Your classmates in New Jersey don't seem to be having problems finding employment - you may want to think about moving there permanently in order to find a job. The market is better and you'll be more marketable as a fulltime resident.

Keep sending out applications wherever you can, call up district managers/hiring directors and don't give up. If all else fails, try volunteering in different locations.

I am currently attending 0-6 pharmacy school and I recently finished my first year. Now I am back home in California and I am filling out internship applications online and I'm also calling the pharmacies at Walgreens, Rite Aid, etc. (I can't even get job shadowings at Walgreens). So far I did not get any replies from any of them.

I feel like I am falling behind because I know people who live in New Jersey and they were able to get internships and work as a pharmacy technician. I am just afraid that I will not get a job as a pharmacist because I have no experience in pharmacy besides the fact that I volunteer at one. In addition, I never work in my life before. I am 18. Should I just go back to the same place and volunteer?

Don't worry. Try to get a job when you get back to school at a CVS or a Walgreens. Once you have the experience, it's easier to transfer back home when you are on break. Nobody wants to train you only to have you disappear for a year. You'll get some experience at your IPPPE sites. Also, look at hospitals in your area. You never know. Students are graduating all of the time and need to be replaced. Start calling and keep calling back. If throw enough **** against the wall, sooner or later something will stick.