Advice - game plan for all science courses in 12-18 months

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

thegoodjuju

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a non traditional student who will be working full time and going back to school this fall or or spring. I will be getting my science courses and speech credits at Roane State, a great local community college. I've already got English, psych, etc. Because classes are limited to 28, most are already filled for the fall. The first option is the only classes available for fall, but if I wait and go in the spring it sets up my courses differently.

Option 1
Fall 16 - A&P 1+2, Physics 1
Spring 17 - Biology 1+2, Physics 2
Summer 17 - Chemistry 1+2
Speech somewhere in there

Option 2
Spring 17 - A&P 1+2
Summer 17 - speech
Fall 17 - biology 1, chemistry 1, physics 1
Spring 18 - biology 2, chemistry 2, physics 2

After acquiring my prerequisites I will be going to University of TN Chattanooga online and get a bachelor's in integrated studies in health and human performance.

So which of the two options would be best for someone who made B's and C's in science in high school? Thanks!
 
Are you sure the University will allow you to take 1&2s together? Also be sure to check with the schools you're interested in as many will not take online lab classes
 
Have you been out of school for a while? If so, I actually recommend something like Option 2, but still plan to take a full course load of non pre reqs this fall. It would be nice for you to have a full semester of courses for practice before you put those pre reqs on the line when the grades really-really count. Let's say working and taking a full course load is pretty tough and you get some Bs....at least you get them in your general ed classes that aren't pre reqs. Then when you have your schedule and ability down pat, go for the pre reqs and get those As! I'm hoping some of these semesters listed have more classes too. As one non traditional student to another, I think it's very important to demonstrate you can handle a full time semester load at least for many of your semesters. Taking classes 1/2 time is fine for re takes or squeezing in extra credits, but the DPT schools need to see you can handle full load and get great grades.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are you sure the University will allow you to take 1&2s together? Also be sure to check with the schools you're interested in as many will not take online lab classes

The classes I listed I am taking in a normal on site community colllege, and most schools I've looked into except two semesters of combined A&P. The only online I'm taking is after I finish up all my prerequisites.

Have you been out of school for a while? If so, I actually recommend something like Option 2, but still plan to take a full course load of non pre reqs this fall. It would be nice for you to have a full semester of courses for practice before you put those pre reqs on the line when the grades really-really count. Let's say working and taking a full course load is pretty tough and you get some Bs....at least you get them in your general ed classes that aren't pre reqs. Then when you have your schedule and ability down pat, go for the pre reqs and get those As! I'm hoping some of these semesters listed have more classes too. As one non traditional student to another, I think it's very important to demonstrate you can handle a full time semester load at least for many of your semesters. Taking classes 1/2 time is fine for re takes or squeezing in extra credits, but the DPT schools need to see you can handle full load and get great grades.

Yes, I've been out of school for several years. That's a good idea regarding taking some non-prerequisites this semester if I can. Thanks!
 
I was in a somewhat similar position a couple of years ago. After a long absence from school I went back to knock out my prereqs while also earning a 2nd Bachelor's degree. I wasn't working full time, but I did have an internship that ran 25-30 hours per week and I was also taking a total of 20 or so credit hours per semester. It all worked out for the best and I did really well, but it was pretty brutal at times. I have a few more gray hairs and I'm sure I wasn't a pleasure to be around for a while. I was mostly an A or B science student in high school but that was almost 14 years beforehand. The first semester back was probably the roughest since it just took me a while to get back into the right mindset. Honestly, if I did it all over again (and had more time) I would have spread things out over a couple more terms.
 
The classes I listed I am taking in a normal on site community colllege, and most schools I've looked into except two semesters of combined A&P. The only online I'm taking is after I finish up all my prerequisites.
I think the original question meant are you allowed to take both A&P semesters within 1 semester. We understand your A&P are combined....but you usually have to take #2 the semester after you take #1. Same goes for Biology...unless you have taken Biology before, we are wondering how you plan to take Biology #1 and #2 in the same semester.