Advice? High GPA, no premed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Billythegray

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi!

I'm a newbie, so I tried to do a good job of searching through threads before I asked any questions... but I'm doing something wrong please feel free to jump on me! (Since I know that's how it works 😀)

I'm five years out of college, working in the arts, and am now thinking of post bacc options.

My criteria are:
1) Will help me get into a TOP med school
2) As short as possible
3) New York, ideally (I know -- that's limiting it to few options)

I have a high GPA from Harvard, high SATs, etc... but I studied Literature. Now, I did dabble a bit (neuroscience, physics, multivariable calc) and did a lot of APs back in high school (5s in chem, both physics, calc, psych, etc.) BUT I certainly don't have the coursework to take the MCAT, much less show a medical school that I'm prepared in terms of prereqs.

My questions are:
1) Do I need to do a post bacc? i.e. What if I just learned the material, on my own or through a couple classes at Columbia, and studied hard to take the MCAT (I'm a good tester). Will this result in a slim chance of getting into a top tier medical school?

2) If a post bacc is definitely the way to go, is Columbia the best option in NYC (looks like it is?), or is there some place to do it in less than 18 months PLUS a glide year (so long!!)?

Honestly, I feel like I could work really hard and learn what I need to know in 6 months to take the MCAT. But I studied lit; not sure I could get into a great medical school without the support / recs / science cred of a post bacc program.

THANK YOU in advance for your advice!!!! 😍
 
Hi!

I'm a newbie, so I tried to do a good job of searching through threads before I asked any questions... but I'm doing something wrong please feel free to jump on me! (Since I know that's how it works 😀)

I'm five years out of college, working in the arts, and am now thinking of post bacc options.

My criteria are:
1) Will help me get into a TOP med school
2) As short as possible
3) New York, ideally (I know -- that's limiting it to few options)

I have a high GPA from Harvard, high SATs, etc... but I studied Literature. Now, I did dabble a bit (neuroscience, physics, multivariable calc) and did a lot of APs back in high school (5s in chem, both physics, calc, psych, etc.) BUT I certainly don't have the coursework to take the MCAT, much less show a medical school that I'm prepared in terms of prereqs.

My questions are:
1) Do I need to do a post bacc? i.e. What if I just learned the material, on my own or through a couple classes at Columbia, and studied hard to take the MCAT (I'm a good tester). Will this result in a slim chance of getting into a top tier medical school?

2) If a post bacc is definitely the way to go, is Columbia the best option in NYC (looks like it is?), or is there some place to do it in less than 18 months PLUS a glide year (so long!!)?

Honestly, I feel like I could work really hard and learn what I need to know in 6 months to take the MCAT. But I studied lit; not sure I could get into a great medical school without the support / recs / science cred of a post bacc program.

THANK YOU in advance for your advice!!!! 😍

NYU I believe can be done in 14 months, but I'm not sure about a requirement for a glide year.

Link: http://postbacc.cas.nyu.edu/page/home

Postbacc programs aren't necessary, if you can find a college that lets you take the pre-reqs then you should be fine. It could be Columbia, NYU or any other 4 year college in the NY area, just try to get as close to a 4.0 as possible (along with building up ECs).

Good luck! And keep that GPA high.
 
AVOID COLUMBIA LIKE THE PLAGUE.

Having gone through the trenches as an undergraduate, Columbia's premed is chock full of grade deflation to ensure that even the basic science courses weed out the lower half, to ensure that we produce zero D.O.'s and zero Caribbean graduates. I'm not doubting your drive or abilities, but in the time frame you've set out you don't really get to use the greatest assets of the university (which would be the research facilities). The class sizes are huge, so people typically only get LOR's from classes they TA, labs they work in, or seminars that wouldn't really fall onto your plate as a post-bacc trying to matriculate in a short period of time. If you wanted to go mid-tier that wouldn't be a big deal.

Try to talk to some people who did the post-bacc at NYU and see what they say. If you must gun at Columbia, strongly consider doing it over the course of 2 years vs. 18 months. Post-baccs are graded against each other and the majority of them only take 1-2 classes at a time. That may be the case everywhere, but it was big gripe that some of my friends had who were trying to finish quickly.
 
Go to either Bryn Mawr, Goucher or JHU, hands down, especially if one of your goals is to go to a top medical school. It is only a year long and has linkages that allow you to skip an gap year entirely. You can certainly just pick up classes at a local college, which might be cheaper, but you will miss out on receiving great advising, as well as established connections that good postbacs typically have with top medical schools. I can say without a doubt that were it not for my postbac program, I would not have wound up at the school I am now. Among the many benefits is that they organize the classes so that things like your schedule/tests don't overlap. There are already established networks, both from past postbac alum, and with the administration so that you can pick up really great volunteer/research/extracurricular opportunities if you choose to pursue them. Established linkages with several top 20 schools also lets you apply early. If the timeline works out, you can matriculate into medical the year after you start your postbac. Advising is also unparalleled, as least compared to pre-med advising offices at most schools. They really do hold your hand through the whole process, if you let them.

Almost none of these things are found in do-it-yourself programs. While it is certainly pricey, it is in my opinion very worth the price.

The thing about good postbacs however, is that they need you to show some sort of dedication to medicine. If you haven't picked up volunteering or shadowing in the hospital, you should jump on that as soon as possible.