advice? how to improve ECs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wattupdoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been stalking the forums for a few days and I'd just like some personalized advice on what would look good EC wise. (i know this has been asked a million times and ive read all of those forums, just looking for some more personalized advice).

i have a 3.9 gpa and havent taken the mcat yet but i do plan to score a 28-30. im not aiming for much higher than that tho, bad test taker. of course ill try my best. im not looking for an upper-tier. med school is med school and any acceptance to an MD program would make me happy.

but its the Extracurricular stuff im worried about. i know you have 15 slots on the AMCAs to fill out and i dont expect to fill all of them but i havent really done much worthwhile to put here.

ive never had a job, and while i am in several organizations/clubs at my school, i dont have any leadership positions or internships.

so basically all i got is i was a member of 3-4 organizations. volunteer at hospital.and shadowed a doc or two. also, ive unoffically been tutoring my neighbors kids for years now and im not sure how to work that in. how would i phrase it? "tutor"? but im not getting paid or anything. also for non-clinical volunteering, im going to start assisting in a middle school club next semester that helps empower underprivileged girls, but thats really the only non-clinical volunteering thing im planning on staying committed to throughout before i apply to med school in 3 semesters.

also, i have the opportunity to do an internship at an elementary school where id help the teacher out for 3 hours a week teaching science to kids for a semester. but in order to do this, id have to rearrange my entire class schedule which will be pretty hard but doable if its actually worthwhile.

and i know someones gonna say "do what you want to do, not what looks good on your resume" but what i do do that as well but its nothing i can really put on the AMCAS. im an amateur photographer and i like to take pictures, but ive never been published or anything like that. of course ill mention my hobbies, but i dont this is very signicant.

advice?

sorry that was so long. id really appreciate some advance. thank you for anyone who can offer any advice at all! :)

Members don't see this ad.

So I've been stalking the forums for a few days and I'd just like some personalized advice on what would look good EC wise. (i know this has been asked a million times and ive read all of those forums, just looking for some more personalized advice).

i have a 3.9 gpa and havent taken the mcat yet but i do plan to score a 28-30. im not aiming for much higher than that tho, bad test taker. of course ill try my best. im not looking for an upper-tier. med school is med school and any acceptance to an MD program would make me happy.

but its the Extracurricular stuff im worried about. i know you have 15 slots on the AMCAs to fill out and i dont expect to fill all of them but i havent really done much worthwhile to put here.

ive never had a job, and while i am in several organizations/clubs at my school, i dont have any leadership positions or internships.

so basically all i got is i was a member of 3-4 organizations. volunteer at hospital.and shadowed a doc or two. also, ive unoffically been tutoring my neighbors kids for years now and im not sure how to work that in. how would i phrase it? "tutor"? but im not getting paid or anything. also for non-clinical volunteering, im going to start assisting in a middle school club next semester that helps empower underprivileged girls, but thats really the only non-clinical volunteering thing im planning on staying committed to throughout before i apply to med school in 3 semesters.

also, i have the opportunity to do an internship at an elementary school where id help the teacher out for 3 hours a week teaching science to kids for a semester. but in order to do this, id have to rearrange my entire class schedule which will be pretty hard but doable if its actually worthwhile.

and i know someones gonna say "do what you want to do, not what looks good on your resume" but what i do do that as well but its nothing i can really put on the AMCAS. im an amateur photographer and i like to take pictures, but ive never been published or anything like that. of course ill mention my hobbies, but i dont this is very signicant.

advice?

sorry that was so long. id really appreciate some advance. thank you for anyone who can offer any advice at all! :)

How many hours a week, and for how long have you been hospital volunteering? How many doctors have you shadowed, for how long each, and what specialties?

You would absolutely include the tutoring of family friends/neighbors on your application. You would likewise include the non medical volunteering.

Is there anything you are focused on or passionate about, that has a need not being met? Starting an organization, organizing a benefit, creating a volunteer group would all be great opportunities to get leadership experience, and as long as you have something to show for it, would definitely be a lot stronger than the typical "I was Vice President of the pre med club" activities that are listed as leadership on many applications. Even if you cannot create or run your own group, getting involved in a significant way in something you are passionate about would be a much stronger addition to your application than many cookie cutter activities.

You also seem to be missing research, which would be a valuable addition to any application, even if you are not shooting for top tier schools. Try to get involved in some research project if at all possible.

Also, make sure you prepare adequately for the MCAT. Don't let "I will probably score a 30" turn into "I don't need to prepare that hard since I only need a 30". Better to get a better score than you "need" than a worse score than you need. :luck:

See if there's a Habitat for Humanity chapter in your area that does projects. It's really a great experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
well i jsut started volunteering this semester, but its 3 hours/week. ill definitely be continuing it at this rate until its time to apply (in 3 semesters).

there is a habitat for humanity chapter, but is there a way to get super involved with them? by that i mean, i feel like that would be a once a month thing where we go and volunteer. i dont see how that can be more weekly? of course therell be meetings and stuff but that wouldnt really be volunteer experience. or i could be completely off basis, please correct me if im wrong (which i probly am ^^)

and i know lacking research experience will probably not be in my favor, but its just that im not a huge of research. its jsut not something i enjoy. how much will it hurt me to not be involved?