WAMC 3.94/513 + Advice for ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LeafyGreeen

Reaction score
"PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS MESSAGE"

Hello, I'm a student graduating from undergrad in May 2024 and will be applying for the 2024 cycle. I'd like to know the chances of me getting into a medical school, but also a general outline of what medical schools I should apply to!

1. cGPA: 3.93 sGPA: 3.92. No increasing trend
2. MCAT: 513 (130/126/129/128)
3. Residence: California resident
4. Ethnicity/Race: Asian
5. Undergraduate institution: Not a special undergrad, 48% acceptance rate
6. Clinical Experience: 1. 550 hours (+400 projected) in a free clinic where we treat those with little to no income. Work very closely with patients and doctors. Rose the ranks of the clinic and now help lead it. Helped start a psychiatric program within the clinic as well. Started a year ago 2. 120 hours in a hospital helping w/ patient transport. Did it for 6 months and will start again in the coming months.
7. Research experience: none :( Really worried about this
8. Shadowing: 70 hours dispersed among multiple surgery specialties (4 different specialties)
9. Non-clinical volunteering: 1. 900 hours (+150 projected) in a leadership organization- started before undergrad and continued into college. The 900 hours include HS hours as well. Rose of the ranks of this org. and now help lead a group of 30 indv. 2. 150 hours in a homeless shelter- working with unhoused individuals at a local homeless shelter
10. Other extracurricular activities: did 20 hours in a teaching organization where I teach Elementary school students. Anything outdoorsy I do as well! I love working with my hands as well so I build tons of model cars, planes, houses etc, using wood, just for fun!
11. Relevant honors or awards: Eagle Scout, worked hard for it and it's also what partially inspired me to pursue a field where I could help people.
12. Anything else: nothing else needs to be said

Questions
1. How would my 0 research hinder my app?

My rough plan is to apply to all the California schools.
Second is Rush, Rosalind Franklin, Drexel, Wayne State, SUNYs. Again these are just a rough start, but I'd really love some advice about the strength of my app and my chances for MDs!! Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Where in California is your clinic? Do you work with any medical students or residents?
It's in the Bay. I work with doctors, PAs, NPs, and psychiatrists. No medical students or residents

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's in the Bay. I work with doctors, PAs, NPs, and psychiatrists. No medical students or residents
Which health care systems are associated with the clinic? What programs are represented among the medical staff? How about the hospital where you will do transport?

I'm not too concerned about zero research compared to zero clinical hours. You don't have that... it seems you have a lot of clinical. If you are trying to argue your mission fit for a service focused school, the research experience can come later.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Albany
New York Medical College
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Georgetown
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Belmont
Tulane
Creighton
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Rush
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
California University
UC Irvine
UC Davis
UC Riverside (if you are from that region)
Kaiser
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
USC Keck
UCSD
UCSF
UCLA

Which health care systems are associated with the clinic? What programs are represented among the medical staff? How about the hospital where you will do transport?

I'm not too concerned about zero research compared to zero clinical hours. You don't have that... it seems you have a lot of clinical. If you are trying to argue your mission fit for a service focused school, the research experience can come later.
We do ENT, dermatology, Mental Health (which I helped start), and Family Medicine. We provide free blood work via another company and also help refer patients for free/heavily discounted MRIs, colonoscopies, surgeries, etc. through separate programs. We get funding from nearby hospitals as well. All volunteers also use Athena as the EHR, I'm fairly good at using it now.

What do you mean by programs represented among the medical staff? As in specialties? We have dermatologists, physical therapists, internal medicine doctors, Otolaryngology, Psychologists, optometrists, maybe one other but can't think of it off the top of my head.

About your question for my other clinical experience, the hospital is very well-established and most Stanford medical students come to do their residency here. Still a little confused about what you were curious about regarding the hospital where I do transport.

Lmk if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to help.

Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Albany
New York Medical College
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Georgetown
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Belmont
Tulane
Creighton
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Rush
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
California University
UC Irvine
UC Davis
Kaiser
USC Keck
UCSD
UCSF
UCLA
Thanks for this! I was looking at Vermont's MSAR and I saw that 94% of applicants for this school have some sort of research, how much of an effect would my lack of research have on schools like these?

What do you mean by programs represented among the medical staff?
Where did they go to school or get training?

Understand that many UC med schools have a mission to serve specific counties or regions in California where there are healthcare shortages. Growing up in these communities is a high preference in adherence to their mission.

Understand that many UC med schools have a mission to serve specific counties or regions in California where there are healthcare shortages. Growing up in these communities is a high preference in adherence to their mission.
None of the UCs are directly associated w/ the Clinic. Not sure about which medical schools our doctors have been to. Our clinic is located in the low-income region of the Bay and serves patients who live in the nearby regions. It isn't close to any UC med schools, unfortunately. I also grew up in the Bay.

Thanks for this! I was looking at Vermont's MSAR and I saw that 94% of applicants for this school have some sort of research, how much of an effect would my lack of research have on schools like these?
Clinical and non clinical volunteering/employment is more important than research. Your lack of research is minor for most of the schools on my list.

Do you hv any other questions? Any thoughts about how my app looks?

Do you hv any other questions? Any thoughts about how my app looks?
It will depend on your mission fit, but if you have that many hours and experience working in a clinically interdisciplinary environment, do your networking, especially OOS with Rush, Loyola, and Rosalind Franklin (since you might as well hit all three Chicagoland schools). Attend recruitment events and figure out if your missions align. Do similarly with other programs you feel great affinity for.

It will depend on your mission fit, but if you have that many hours and experience working in a clinically interdisciplinary environment, do your networking, especially OOS with Rush, Loyola, and Rosalind Franklin (since you might as well hit all three Chicagoland schools). Attend recruitment events and figure out if your missions align. Do similarly with other programs you feel great affinity for.
Is there anything else that you recommend I improve on my app before applying? How strong does it look so far?

Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Albany
New York Medical College
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Georgetown
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Belmont
Tulane
Creighton
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Rush
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
California University
UC Irvine
UC Davis
Kaiser
USC Keck
UCSD
UCSF
UCLA
Would you suggest that I solely apply MD or also DO with my given app?