Advice-improving CV for Cardiology fellowship

Started by drsrb
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

drsrb

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Everyone
I am PGY- 3 at a community program affiliated with University. I have above average scores on my steps/ Have couple of abstracts in ACP and ASE and 1 international abstract(pending manuscript).
Applied for cardiology fellowship this match but it doesn't look like I am going to get any IV's at this time.
I also require VISA which limits my application.
What would you guys suggest moving forward?
Pursue - non accredited Heart Failure fellowships/Cardiology hospitalist jobs?Any other suggestions ?
 
Hi Everyone
I am PGY- 3 at a community program affiliated with University. I have above average scores on my steps/ Have couple of abstracts in ACP and ASE and 1 international abstract(pending manuscript).
Applied for cardiology fellowship this match but it doesn't look like I am going to get any IV's at this time.
I also require VISA which limits my application.
What would you guys suggest moving forward?
Pursue - non accredited Heart Failure fellowships/Cardiology hospitalist jobs?Any other suggestions ?

The non accredited fellowships might help if they hook you up with good research. I think the only way your application will be noticed is if
- you make connections with faculty in the field
- do meaningful, published research
- get strong letters of recommendation from cardiology faculty
- apply everywhere

It’s not impossible to match but understand that it’s competitive and you’re starting at an unfortunate disadvantage. Once you can overcome some hurdles you will have a chance.
 
Hi Everyone
I am PGY- 3 at a community program affiliated with University. I have above average scores on my steps/ Have couple of abstracts in ACP and ASE and 1 international abstract(pending manuscript).
Applied for cardiology fellowship this match but it doesn't look like I am going to get any IV's at this time.
I also require VISA which limits my application.
What would you guys suggest moving forward?
Pursue - non accredited Heart Failure fellowships/Cardiology hospitalist jobs?Any other suggestions ?

Couple of abstracts for an IMG trying to get into cardiology is super underwhelming. There are so many opportunities to submit abstracts-ACP national, ACP state level, SGIM regional, SGIM national, ACC FIT section, Chest ....all accept cases by residents.

In terms of the way forward, look into a non acredited fellowship. Look out for echo fellowship, preventive cardiology fellowships too. In your third year of residency you will need to work a bit more on the scientific level. Remember that you will be applying july and your CV will still reflect what u did in residency.

I hope you match this season