Advice is GREATLY appreciated!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MusicRed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm a current sophomore in college and I just completed my fall semester. I'm not going to lie, it was a pretty bad semester considering my cum. GPA fell to an all time low of a 2.8. My aspiration for my future career is to be a pediatric cardiologist. I know my GPA is horribly low, but I am determined to do whatever it takes to get it higher to increase chances of getting into med school.

My question: Is it possible to raise my GPA to a competitive one, considering I'm a sophomore? Also, my grades in gen chem and bio are C's, if I retake those courses to get the A i know I could get, do med schools look down on courses that have been repeated?

Any advice is more than greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

If you repeat the prerequisites where you got Cs, get As the second time, and have a good explanation for why you did poorly, med schools won't look down on your for a bad semester, if you did enough additional A work to get your GPA back up into a competitive range.

Assuming you have 3 semesters of classes for that GPA of 2.8, another three semesters of 4.0 coursework will bring your GPA up to 3.4. An additional year of coursework, making a total of 8 semesters will bring it up to a 3.55, which is probably sufficiently competitive if you have a very good MCAT score. Keep in mind that the mean acceptee GPA is 3.65.

You can still redeem your GPA with a lot of hard work and determination. But do you have a good understanding of what went wrong last semester? You need to fix it fast as you have no more wiggle room to be a less-than-perfect scholar. Good luck with your aspirations.

Hello!

I'm a current sophomore in college and I just completed my fall semester. I'm not going to lie, it was a pretty bad semester considering my cum. GPA fell to an all time low of a 2.8. My aspiration for my future career is to be a pediatric cardiologist. I know my GPA is horribly low, but I am determined to do whatever it takes to get it higher to increase chances of getting into med school.

My question: Is it possible to raise my GPA to a competitive one, considering I'm a sophomore? Also, my grades in gen chem and bio are C's, if I retake those courses to get the A i know I could get, do med schools look down on courses that have been repeated?

Any advice is more than greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

If your cum is now 2.8, it could not have been all that hot after your freshman year, right?

Good news is you have time on your side, to some extent, to get on the right track.

However...your grades in Bio and Chem are a real red flag to me. Organic and Physics are generally regarded as the harder pre-reqs, and if a pre-med is going to give back any quality points in the pre-reqs in these, they really need to be making As in the Bio and Chem classes...you are on track to a lousy BCPM GPA...

The suggestion to retake the classes you made the Cs in is problematic. First, not all colleges will allow you to retake a C, so check with your college. Second, you would need to go ahead and retake them now, and your college may not schedule them for the Spring semester, so this could really throw your college schedule off track for taking Physics and Organic. And finally, I doubt if many colleges will allow you to retake Chem I and Bio I after you have taken Chem II and Bio II... can I assume you are signed up for these in the Spring semester?

My guess is you will have to live with those Cs...start making As...good luck.