ADVICE!! Leaving pt aide job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gotapples123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been working at my current job as an aide for a year now. I was recently offered a better job position as an aide with more pay and benefits. I put in my 2 weeks noticed. and supervising therapist gave eme a hard time. The therapist is also one of the people I asked for a letter a rec for PTCAS. It hasnt been written yet. Im nervous my departure may have a negative impact on my letter. I dont know what to do?? does anybody have any experience or advice

Members don't see this ad.

Ask the new boss for a letter instead; maybe this one respects filthy traitors

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, word of advice: ASK SOMEONE ELSE. It is better to be safe than sorry and you need someone to write you a letter who wants the best for you EVEN if affects them.

Lol, thats annoying, I feel for you. You probably should've waited until the LoR was written before the 2 weeks notice, however I'm assuming you had a limited time window to accept the other offer. I have never been placed in this type of situation, personally the physical therapist I work under is a stand up guy, and usually if either one of us has a problem we confront each other and express our thoughts/opinions.

Maybe you should bring this topic up with your supervisor??? lol could end up being a **** show though.

It sounds like a really tough conversation to have, but you probably need to sit down with the therapist and be real with him/her. No one can blame you for taking a job that pays more and has better benefits. Just explain why you did it. Point out everything you did well in your position. Explain why their opinion and recommendation still means a lot to you. If at the end of the conversation you feel like you're still on the therapists bad side, wait and ask your new supervisor. Its possible though that the therapist will respect your decision and appreciate the conversation. In that case you could still get a good recommendation from him. The length of time you have known this therapist might mean a lot in the recommendation. If you think this conversation would be difficult, write a letter to explain yourself.

Reactions: 1 user
Unprofessional move by the supervisor. He/she has to understand that being a PT aide is only temporary. The job doesn't pay much by any means, but it's moreso for experience. @katelly said it quite nicely, you can try and have a talk with the therapist. Otherwise, like others have said, I'd suggest asking another therapist for a letter of reference.