Other Advice: Matched PGY-1 but open PGY-2 spot

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jaybomb2024

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone, looking for advice/options/support on available options for me.

I am currently a PGY-1 prelim surgery resident. I matched into my last choice for a categorical PGY-1 position this year. A week later, there are now openings for PGY-2 positions in my desired specialty for the upcoming year that I matched that I would be able to join. What are my available options?
Am I allowed to apply? Can I even reach out to that program? If I do apply/get accepted, what would be the repercussions for me? I was hoping for any thoughts about what I should do and if anyone has experience with this.
I saw something about waivers for open PGY-1 spots but how does this apply to me?