advice need in dallas tx

Started by othkate
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

othkate

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hi,

are there any one from dallas texas? i will start my residency in baylor university medical center and looking for a nice and safe place to live in dallas. can you please give me some advice on the location or apartment listing that is near baylor but is also safe. i am not from TX so I have been trouble looking for a place.

Thank you so much for your help,
kate
 
I'll actually be moving out of state from Dallas so I can give you some pointers as to where you may want to live. I'm not sure how much the stipend is for Baylor- but I'm sure it will be enough to live in a nice/safe area. Pretty much anything off of 75 meets both of those criteria. The Village apts are very well known and lots of students/young professionals live there. I think it's reasonably priced considering the area, as always it's cheaper to live with a roommate. I know several residents who live in those apts (there's about 10 different apt complexes to choose from). If you're looking to live a bit more swanky you can try uptown- but it's much more expensive. You can find a deal if you drive around and call some of the numbers on the yard posts advertising or you could look on craigslist. On average you're looking to spend a good 800 (min) - 1200 (average) if you want to live in this area. If you go further north you will find cheaper rates, but you also face fighting traffic in the morning to get to Baylor. Do not live in South Dallas, meaning Oak Cliff area, it's not very safe. Dallas can be checkered- safe on one block, sketchy on the next so I would take a weekend and drive around to get a feel. Photos online can be deceiving regarding the area it's located.

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask via post or PM.

Em
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would suggest these apartments:

www.amli.com (Bryan Place is a hop, skip and a jump from Baylor)

http://www.gables.com/

http://www.postproperties.com/

Post apts are mostly in Uptown, which in my opinion would be the best place to live (if you are willing to pay a little more, and live in a slightly smaller apt). This area is vibrant, young, WALKABLE. Plenty of bars, restaurants, shops, etc in the vicinity. And it's a very short drive to Baylor.

If you're new to Dallas, this would be a great option because it exposes you to other young transplanted professionals, a social scene. If you live around Baylor, you'll end up driving everywhere because there's not much to do around that area. PM me if you want more detailed information. Good luck. 👍
 
One of my best friends moved to Dallas from MO about a year and half ago for work not school and I went with her on the long long apartment search. We looked at apartments all over including the Village and the uptown apartments. She chose the Uptown apartments and loves them. They are a little more expensive and in hindsight, she would have tried to negotiate for more than one years lease because after the first year and every year there after, all the apartments will raise your rent. But she wouldn't want to live anywhere else because the Post Uptown is very safe and within walking distance to a lot of great social opportunities.