Advice needed... All are welcome.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PureGenius

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I'm a 23 year male (no it's not a clinical vignette)

I am currently about to finish my basic sciences in a Caribbean medical school, due to the credit crunch, Out school lost loans and I have no money for the clinical part of the medical school.

I took my MCAT twice

B:10 P:11 V:7
B:12 P:9 V:7
UG gpa is 2.7,
MEDMAR, economically disadvantaged

I have research experience, and some clinical experience from my current medical school. I am seeking to get into USUHS, What I am asking you all is, honestly what are my chances of getting into USUHS? What are my other option if, God-forbid, I don't get into USUHS?

All advice/opinions are welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

I am currently about to finish my basic sciences in a Caribbean medical school, due to the credit crunch, Out school lost loans and I have no money for the clinical part of the medical school.

I took my MCAT twice

UG gpa is 2.7,

I have research experience, and some clinical experience from my current medical school. I am seeking to get into USUHS, What I am asking you all is, honestly what are my chances of getting into USUHS? What are my other option if, God-forbid, I don't get into USUHS?

Getting into a US med school after having already enrolled in an offshore med school, your chances are pretty much nonexistant even if your stats were good. But coming with a 2.7/28 (actually, in your prior thread you said your ug GPA was a 2.5), I'd say your chances are quite bad. IMHO, Your only options really are going to be other offshore schools.

I took my MCAT twice

UG gpa is 2.7,

USUHS does not accept transfer students under any conditions and thus since you have previously attended medical school offshore, you are likely not going to enter USUHS.

If you are looking to "start over", there is a section on AMCAS where you are asked if you have previously matriculated at another medical school. Unless you lie on this portion of the application, you are not eligible to attend USUHS because of prior medical education in addition to the fact that USUHS does place a fair amount of emphasis on academics (uGPA/MCAT) where you would be at a distinct disadvantage.

Some medical schools in this country do accept students from offshore schools. I don't know which ones are in this category but you may be able to do a Google search and find them. If you do find a school that does take offshore transfers, you are likely going to need to take USMLE Step I and you need to find out if they have a space for a transfer. Good luck as transfer even between US schools is very difficult.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some medical schools in this country do accept students from offshore schools. I don't know which ones are in this category but you may be able to do a Google search and find them. If you do find a school that does take offshore transfers, you are likely going to need to take USMLE Step I and you need to find out if they have a space for a transfer. Good luck as transfer even between US schools is very difficult.

Looking into transferring to a US school is probably not worth the OP's time and money. It's a longshot even coming from a US school with good stats. Not to be harsh, but OP, sometimes the kindest advice is that which doesn't result in someone wasting their time/money in a futile effort. Get your financial issues under control (maybe work and save for a while) and find an offshore school you can continue at. You will spend a lot of time spinning your wheels with no success if you try any other avenues, IMHO.

Is it possible for you to transfer to another offshore school that has a better loan situation? That might be your best bet.

Is it possible for you to take a leave of absence from your current institution until the money situation improves? If you leave in good standing with the administration understanding your (excellent) reasons for departing temporarily, hopefully the door will be left open for a return.

Try to transfer to Ross, AUC, or St. George. They all have federal loans like here in the US.

They probably will cost more but it really is your only "good" option.

Unless you can find a way to continue at your current school. But, then again, these schools have the best reputation from that area.

Bad situation, good luck!