Advice needed for a Christian pre-med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notmycupoftea

Reaction score
I go to a Christian school, and a few of my other friends said they frequently encountered questions about abortion during interviews. Trying to prepare my answer and wanted some input on my response if I receive a question…

I am pro-life. But my view has always been that it is NOT my place to force my beliefs upon others. If a patient wants an abortion, would I actively encourage them to get one? No. Would it be my hope that they wouldn’t get one? Yes. But I can’t stop them from doing that if I practice somewhere where it is legal. Part of my job as a physician would be to respect patient autonomy. I would refer them to someone who could better provide information and the pregnancy termination they desired.

Not trying to be controversial at all, but does this sound like a valid answer? Yes I have beliefs but I’m not going to expect everyone to share that. I just know of some docs, for example, who are fundamentally opposed to birth control and actively encourage patients to not take it, and they do not prescribe it either. Don’t want to come across as stubborn like that.

I would genuinely appreciate some honest feedback. Thank you:)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This is a very interesting question. My advice would be without a doubt to be as honest as you can with your answer. Do not lie, and do not let something like a medical school interview pierce your integrity/values and principles. I imagine you are going to be expected to learn how to and be able to perform an abortion. Perhaps later on, when you have more autonomy over your career/are a practicing physician, you can put yourself in a position where you wouldn't have to perform them, but it seems definite that you would be exposed to it during schooling. That being said, you wouldn't want to get into school by sacrificing the core values of your being. If they do not accept you based on that very particular issue, perhaps it is the wrong school. So again, my advice would be to tell the truth, just as you have here. Your response was already very level-headed and fair.

Reactions: 2 users
I think this is a reasonable answer, and some would argue you could even call yourself pro-choice if you're willing to support the patient's autonomy to make their own choice regardless of your personal opinions. Worth noting also - when interviewers ask questions about hot button political issues, what they are looking for is not typically a particular answer, but rather the ability to handle a nuanced issue with care and thoughtfulness about both sides of the argument. I think your answer here is appropriate from that lens.

This is a very interesting question. My advice would be without a doubt to be as honest as you can with your answer. Do not lie, and do not let something like a medical school interview pierce your integrity/values and principles. I imagine you are going to be expected to learn how to and be able to perform an abortion. Perhaps later on, when you have more autonomy over your career/are a practicing physician, you can put yourself in a position where you wouldn't have to perform them, but it seems definite that you would be exposed to it during schooling. That being said, you wouldn't want to get into school by sacrificing the core values of your being. If they do not accept you based on that very particular issue, perhaps it is the wrong school. So again, my advice would be to tell the truth, just as you have here. Your response was already very level-headed and fair.
It is NOT common to be exposed to or involved in abortions of a viable fetus in medical school. You may see cases where the fetus is no longer viable (i.e. fetus no longer has cardiac activity, ectopic pregnancy, etc.) for which the management is often essentially the same as an abortion, either medically or surgically, but I imagine even the most staunch pro-life folks would not consider these procedures amoral since the pregnancy is not viable to begin with.

ETA: Moreover, you can absolutely decline to participate in care to which you are morally opposed for whatever reason. My FM residency program has had residents who do not wish to do circumcisions or vasectomies or prescribe birth control for various reasons and it has not been an issue. They learn enough to be able to accurately counsel patients on the risks and benefits, recognize and manage complications, etc. but for the actual procedure they refer to another resident who performs it - and we certainly don't mind the extra practice.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It will be interesting how this cycle goes when it comes to asking about these issues. I agree the response you have shows tactfulness and a willingness to listen to your patients and consider any extenuating circumstances. The challenge though comes from how you observe how "pro-life" is being demonstrated when it comes to harassment against patients, physicians, and difficult decisions human ethics boards must confront when interpreting state laws that outlaw abortions. It is similar to what is happening with transgender patients, and I would also suggest you think carefully about that topic since many evangelical communities are adamantly against any transgender access to health needs (it seems).

Reactions: 1 users
Emphasizing respect for patient autonomy, as you have done above, is always a good thing to do and to vocalize in responses to these types of questions. In your answers, there’s no need at all to actually discuss what your personal views are, and I would actually suggest that you (or anyone else) not — just keep it focused on what you would do for a patient and again autonomy is key here.

If you told me that you identified as pro-life (a political position that you believe abortion should be illegal) then told me you believe that people should have the legal right to choose abortion, I would wonder which statement was the lie.

Last edited:
If you told me that you identified as pro-life (a political position that you believe abortion should me illegal) then told be you believe that people should have the legal right to choose abortion, I would wonder which statement was the lie.

To be fair, you may be misinterpreting what the OP means when they say that they are "pro-life" and what that looks like in terms of advocacy for specific public policies, laws and regulations.

Also you read the OP's answer as believing that people *should* have the legal right which is, again, putting words in their mouth. They may believe that people shouldn't have the legal right but if the current laws in their jurisdiction give them that right then they have the right to pursue that option.

@notmycupoftea I think that your answer is very reasonable and will assure interviewers that you aren't a stiff-necked zealot but have the attitude that will make you a compassionate provider.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Ultimately while that is a good response you must also realize that to a degree admissions is ultimately a game. I can think of professors that would love that answer and professors (and other non professor adcoms) who would automatically look at you unfavorably for that response.

Ultimately while that is a good response you must also realize that to a degree admissions is ultimately a game. I can think of professors that would love that answer and professors (and other non professor adcoms) who would automatically look at you unfavorably for that response.
Regardless of the answer given (within limits) there will some who will be delighted and others less so. Always be honest and have integrity in your responses.

Hopefully you aren’t suggesting to be dishonest in your interview replies. Compromising integrity and personal ethics and values should never be an acceptable strategy for getting into medical school. If an admissions committee member or committee as a whole is biased enough against those who have religious beliefs about human life that align them on the pro life side of abortion issues, then I would suggest that it may be in those individuals’ best interests to not matriculate to that school. Hopefully schools do a good job in screening their committee members for biases against half the population of the US based on personal morals.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
When it comes down to it, your answer should specifically avoid discouraging the patient to seek an abortion. You don't need to actively promote the options that they can pursue, or encourage the abortion, but you should not use your position to drive a wedge between a patient and their care.

As long as your answer doesn't do that - which it does not sound like it does - I don't suspect that it will be taken poorly.

Reactions: 3 users
I go to a Christian school, and a few of my other friends said they frequently encountered questions about abortion during interviews. Trying to prepare my answer and wanted some input on my response if I receive a question…

I am pro-life. But my view has always been that it is NOT my place to force my beliefs upon others. If a patient wants an abortion, would I actively encourage them to get one? No. Would it be my hope that they wouldn’t get one? Yes. But I can’t stop them from doing that if I practice somewhere where it is legal. Part of my job as a physician would be to respect patient autonomy. I would refer them to someone who could better provide information and the pregnancy termination they desired.

Not trying to be controversial at all, but does this sound like a valid answer? Yes I have beliefs but I’m not going to expect everyone to share that. I just know of some docs, for example, who are fundamentally opposed to birth control and actively encourage patients to not take it, and they do not prescribe it either. Don’t want to come across as stubborn like that.

I would genuinely appreciate some honest feedback. Thank you:)
I highly highly doubt this will come up in an interview. We as physicians try our absolute hardest to avoid asking these type of politically and morally charged questions. It is considered unprofessional to ask something like this and medical schools do not want to risk you taking it the wrong way and suing them - has happened in the past. Poor publicity

Integrity, that's all I have to say, regardless of the fact that some would not look favorably on the OPs response.... OP, your response is on point.

I thought most schools prohibit interviewers from asking about these type of things. I was never asked in either cycle across 22+ interviews

I thought most schools prohibit interviewers from asking about these type of things. I was never asked in either cycle across 22+ interviews

I’ve had some acquaintances *allegedly* who were asked questions about gender identity/sexual preference and abortion. They think they were targeted because their application has a theme of their religious beliefs driving them towards service. I take these anecdotes with a grain of salt, because they weren’t accepted to the schools which allegedly did this, which were also their top choices.

Reactions: 1 users