Research needed for med school application/entry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThetisAntithesis

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a premed I am advising and she informed me she does not have any research (she is a senior)
I did not need research as I was at least 10 years out from undergrad by the time I was applying so my other experiences took precedence so I'm not too familiar with this requirement.

Should I advise my mentee to get research in her gap year? And what should her goals be (to publish? get a certain number of hours?)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

What is your advisee interested in when it comes to being a physician? Research for many schools is not essential, but you want to keep your options open depending on specialty, as you probably know.

Most students do have research experience but I consider it a good effect of how much research should be a part of undergraduate/preprofessional education.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all,
I have a premed I am advising and she informed me she does not have any research (she is a senior)
I did not need research as I was at least 10 years out from undergrad by the time I was applying so my other experiences took precedence so I'm not too familiar with this requirement.

Should I advise my mentee to get research in her gap year? And what should her goals be (to publish? get a certain number of hours?)

Thanks!
Research is less important as a selection factor than people think.
Attached the AAMC chart to support my assertion
Congratulations on your acceptance, but your experience is probably not applicable to someone applying right out of college.

Factors important for admission.png

Reactions: 2 users
What is your advisee interested in when it comes to being a physician? Research for many schools is not essential, but you want to keep your options open depending on specialty, as you probably know.

Most students do have research experience but I consider it a good effect of how much research should be a part of undergraduate/preprofessional education.
OB/GYN, Cardiology for now.
Thanks

Research is less important as a selection factor than people think.
Attached the AAMC chart to support my assertion
Congratulations on your acceptance, but your experience is probably not applicable to someone applying right out of college.

View attachment 364132
Thanks a lot.
I had already told her to start working on getting some experience but I guess I'll let her know not to stress too much about it if she can't find something.