Advice needed for non-trad student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jazzedup

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Hello everyone...I am looking for advice from people who aren't related to me...

I am 33 years old and I was originally planning on going to law school this fall, but now with the poor economy I am seriously thinking otherwise. Right now law school is around $50K a year and I would graduate with $150K in student loan debt. Right now there are a ton of lawyers out there without jobs and a lot of new lawyers coming out of law school this spring with ZERO job prospects. This all makes me very nervous and scared.

In the past I have considered a career in a medical-related field...because you help can people, make a good income and have a high level of job security. The high income is a big plus for me because I know that I will be able to pay back my student loans and to pay off other bills after I graduate.

Right now, I have around $50K in student loan debt (from my bachelor and masters degrees). I am also in another $15K in credit card debt--I am currently working for a non-profit right and I don't make a lot of money (its the only job I could find). I do not have a science background, so I would have to take all of the pre-req classes. I was thinking that I should take all the pre-reqs at a community college--what do you think? I am also trying to find a field that has somewhat uniform pre-reqs for admission...and Podiatry seems to be the only one. I know that my student loans will be high in all of these fields as well (just like law school), but I know that I will be able to get a job and pay in all back.

I am a smart person and I always did well academically in school and I know that I can do this. I am just looking for some advice (outside of my relatives) on this topic.

Thank you again :)

P.S. I would like to get all the pre-reqs wrapped up as fast as I can--due to my age and I want to get into school fast

Members don't see this ad.

Don't do it man. You don't know the first thing about podiatry. You're choosing it based on the pre-reqs and your loan situation. Seriously? That is a TERRIBLE idea. Podiatry is not a "get-rich-quick" profession. It's not even a "get rich eventually" profession for most.

Although...we could use more students who don't know what they're getting into and will probably drop out, filling a school seat while not competing for a residency position. So in that case...apply now!!!

Last edited:
First of all, I didn't think Podiatry was a "get rich quick" profession. If I come out of school making around $115K/year, I will be okay and I will be able to pay my bills. As for the pre-reqs...they do seem more uniform than the rest of the professions. And as for dropping out of podiatry school--thats not in my nature to drop out and I'm too old to do something like that and owe more debt. Once I would start school, I wouldn't be turning back.

P.S. Weird story: I knew a guy once who went into Podiatry because his father-in-law didn't like the fact he was an elementary school teacher. The father-in-law was a very rich businessman...needless to say...his son-in-law went and became a podiatrist--and he still is one today.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Call up a bunch of podiatrists nearby and shadow 2-3 of them for atleast 2 different days. Tell them your situation and let them know that you are trying to get a feel for the profession. If you can see yourself doing what they do then go for it.

Call up a bunch of podiatrists nearby and shadow 2-3 of them for atleast 2 different days. Tell them your situation and let them know that you are trying to get a feel for the profession. If you can see yourself doing what they do then go for it.

:thumbup::thumbup:

I just don't want to end up like the Pod down the street from me...clipping toenails for elderly people and cutting out ingrown toenails. I would like to do surgery and work with ortho docs.

I just don't want to end up like the Pod down the street from me...clipping toenails for elderly people and cutting out ingrown toenails. I would like to do surgery and work with ortho docs.

No guarantees in life, my friend. Work very hard and the cards will be stacked in your favor.

No guarantees in life, my friend. Work very hard and the cards will be stacked in your favor.

This is a good point in that podiatry doesn't guarantee you'll be a big bad@** surgeon. You might end up as an associate in a practice where you can't be picky on what procedures you want to do or what patients you don't want to treat. You'll treat every patient that walks through, or you won't last long in that office.

If you want to hang out with orthopods and never clip nails, become an orthopedic surgeon.

This is a good point in that podiatry doesn't guarantee you'll be a big bad@** surgeon. You might end up as an associate in a practice where you can't be picky on what procedures you want to do or what patients you don't want to treat. You'll treat every patient that walks through, or you won't last long in that office.

If you want to hang out with orthopods and never clip nails, become an orthopedic surgeon.
Then how do you end up in a practice like that?

P.S. Becoming an orthopaedic surgeon would take me 10 years...I can't wait that long = 4 yrs of med school + 6 year residency...and add on another year if I want a fellowship.

Then how do you end up in a practice like that?

P.S. Becoming an orthopaedic surgeon would take me 10 years...I can't wait that long = 4 yrs of med school + 6 year residency...and add on another year if I want a fellowship.

Podiatry school + residency will be 7 years. 3 years extra is a minimal investment that will pay off many times over if you end up doing what you really want to do.

Answering your first question:
Getting a "mostly surgical" position such as with an orthopedic group is getting more difficult as there are now a plethora of 3 year surgical trained podiatric graduates. Those groups also seem to prefer "fellowship trained" surgeons/podiatrists, so add yet another year to give you a grand total of 8. Many groups also never let you become a senior partner, but if you're OK being an employee, then no big deal on that one. There are other threads on this issue if you're interested.

My point is, don't choose podiatry because it's quicker and more convenient, because in the end it's still a grind, and if you end up not liking it, you will forever regret settling because you were in a hurry.

To me it doesnt seem like you have a genuine interest in the profession. You cant just do a profession b/c it fits .. you will be miserable. Like was posted above shadow a podiatrist. We do everything.. clipping the toenails/surgery/limb removal/wound care/ dermatology... That IS the profession, and what makes it so special. If that doesnt appeal to you go into something else. Im not exactly sure why you cant spare an extra 3 years of school to do something you would like to do. If you can spare 7 for pod school/residency then you can surreely do another 3 and become and ortho surgeon if thats what you want to do. So you in debt a little more.. you will pay it off in the long run.

I will go shadow pods this week. Thank you again.

:)

Last edited:
Agreed. I know it is silly to make judgements off a few posts online, but it does seem like you at the very least, explore several fields. Do not feel bad that you are not sure.....it is much better to wait and be sure than to rush in and regret it.

In terms of money (if this really drives you), maybe look into dentistry. In my opinion, dentists get the best financial return on the amount the work they put in (I don't mean this as a jab in anyways).

Only go for Podiatry if this is your passion! Podiatry is an Amazing Profession!
Thank you. I will also look into Dentistry as well.

Your right that I'm not sure about which field I want...I am under pressure right now because I have to make a decision about whether to decline law school (this fall) or jump right into science pre-reqs. My whole life is hanging in the balance and I'm not getting any younger. And I'm also strapped for cash with my regular bills. I can't exactly waste anymore time...I need to grow up and make a decision on a career--and make a smart/educated one fast.

Last edited:
:p

Last edited:
No worries! I am someone who also has to budget things. This might not be an option for you, but the military does offer a lot...

Link: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=677194
Thats not too bad. I will look into this more in-depth.

P.S. One thing is for sure, the military doesn't give money like this to law students! You pay for your own tuition, books and everything else. As I keep looking into this, law school seems like a pretty $hitty deal all the way around...health care is definitely the way to go :)

Last edited:
Thats not too bad. I will look into this more in-depth.

P.S. One thing is for sure, the military doesn't give money like this to law students! You pay for your own tuition, books and everything else. As I keep looking into this, law school seems like a pretty $hitty deal all the way around...health care is definitely the way to go :)

Sorry to chime in, but i was perusing different forums in boredom and stumbled in here. Bare with me... i think i have some useful stuff to say.

This is my personal opinion, but my brother is a lawyer at a very large southwest firm, so much of my opinion is based off info from him. If you did not get into a top 14 law school, your chances of making good money are gone. In fact, even having a job lined up after will be very tough. If you get into a top 30 school and graduate top 10% you will be ok, but anything outside of that... forget any job in law right now. Its a very "good ol' boy profession", some firms wont even hire out of top 14 or if you didn't graduate in top x percent of your class. So if you aren't matriculating into a top 30.... just don't do it... please!!

Now it seems you are looking for the quickest healthcare profession to lead you to decent money. A lot of this depends on your current academic standing... you said you were a good student, but a 3.3 or a 3.7 good student? There is a lot of real estate between both those numbers and if you don't have at least a 3.5 (especially from your Masters program), you can probably rule out Dentistry and especially Medicine. Not trying to start any type of flame war here, just trying to set realistic expectations for the OP, based on averages.

If you have the grades then go kill the science prereqs and go to dental school... but you better shadow several dentists and make sure you love working in ppl's mouths, because average dental school debt is more in the 300K range. Dentist's typically make 110-140K for there first several years out of d-school. After about 5-7 years, IF you own your own practice, the average is more around 200K take home.

Now for my personal opinion, you may really want to consider Pharm school. Especially if your grades are subpar.... only 3-4 years of school and you will average anywhere from 80-110K a year. Depending on what your Masters is in, like an MPP, MPA, MBA, or bioethics, you can definitely use that to your advantage. That qualifies you more for upper corporate management as well as hospital administration. If you have an MA or MS in some random liberal arts subject, might not help you so much. The same scenarios also translate very nicely to optometry... so that should also be considered heavily.

One thing is for sure though.... you need to shadow, shadow, shadow!!! You will now be in a second career and if you want to do this for another 30 years, you better like it. If you hate your job, your patients will know it, which will make you an incompetent provider and no amount of money will fix that.

Good luck in your endeavors!! Sorry for the very long and boring post, just had to speak my mind!

Last edited:
:p

Last edited: