Advice Needed for NRI's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Study247

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi every1
I am a Canadian citizen,currently in gr.12 and I have applied to all Canadian uni's but here u hav to do atleast 3yrs undergrad and then u can apply for medicine but its nearly to impossible to get in..however again im only in gr.12 and i was just looking for some options to becoming a doctor faster. I know that in India u can get into medicine rite after 12th and that wud be great :)
I am interested in applying to some of the Indian Medical Colleges...but my goal is to practice in the U.S. ... i dunno if its common for Canadians to come to india to study medicine and then go to the U.S but im just trying to find some options. I've heard of Kasturba Medical College in Manipal being affliated to AUA in the caribbean and if u go there u end up doing ur clinicals in USA, which is what I want to do. I realli need some more feedback on all this because the whole system of doing medicine after 12th is new to me and if it is really worth doing it in India if I want to end up practicing in the States.
Your feedback is appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

im in india, punjab.

you're in grade 12. sometimes its really hard for younger students to adapt to the lifestyle here in india (food, light, transportation, etc) but if you can, then more power to u.
a lot of people say that india makes the best doctors, and the education in the carribean isnt too great.
im in my 2nd year mbbs. and trust me, you will feel homesick, disgusted, etc, etc, etc.

its your choice...i recommend you study in canada if you have the opportunity.
the only main benefit is you save like 3-5 years or so in doing medicine in india....money wise, it ends up being about the same anyways...since you need accomodation and the likes.
good luck

hmmm...if i save 3 yrs by doing mbbs in india i can prepare for my usmle, i can prepare for my uk exams...it wud be realli good or i can even cum back to canada and do my postgraduate here. But for that i wud probably need to specialize into something...do u know how long the average specialization takes? Also can u go to u.s for ur clinicals after getting ur mbbs or should u specialize?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!
I am studying in grade 12 in Canada right now. I want to study medicine. I am really confused about whether to go to uni in Canada or go back to India and study at DMCH. I have been studying in India till grade 11 and came to Canada in grade 12. I was a good student. I think I would have got into med school if I gave the premed exams. I basically came to Canada to do medicine and be a well-rounded doctor, ‘n explore new fields at the same time. Now, I’m really confused about whether to do medicine at DMCH. My high school average in physics, chem. ‘n bio are good. Could you please tell me if that’s what they are looking for. I have also applied to unis in Canada and could study sth like biophysics (as I’m kinda gud at physics) and have a creative background for med school.
I know that you have to give USMLEs and other exams for residencies in North America. I have been quite discouraged hearing about so many international students having a very tough time here. I want to know if you can get into residency programs of your choice at par with the Canadian students.
The gud part about India is that I could be more comfortable at DMCH (its close to home) ‘n I have been a pretty gud student in India. :) Sometimes, I think what if I later figure out that I’m not that interested in medicine. Studying in India might rid me of my chances of doing sth I really like to do which I could do while studying at uni here in Canada. My teachers told me its quite early to start med school at this age. I know that’s what I would have done in India though. But there are many layers to dealing with people’s emotions and lives.
I want to know if there’s something in at Newfoundland as I hear many people go there for medicine. It’s a high time I figure out what to do. :(
Could anyone please try to make sense of this post and help me out.

OP is quite old but if I still have to answer OP's query then I say, follow the old dictum 'when in Rome do as the Romans do'. If you want to practice somewhere please study your trade in that place. It make look hard, long and hopeless at times but if you get thro' then there is nothing like it.

in short the last post pretty much hit the nail on the head... go to school where you plan to practice... it's just easier that way...

If you want info on what to expect in terms of changes and adjustments if you do come to India for education just search for a thread I created a while ago... its called "To all NRI's thinking of coming to India for their Education" You can find it if you go to my profile...