Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

advice needed for older student

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by asdasd12345, Mar 28, 2004.

1. asdasd12345

asdasd12345 Membership Revoked
    Removed

hello, i am a 27 year old british male married to a american girl. i have recently decided i want to become a doctor. however, this comes after many years of career indecisiveness.

i graduated from UF in 1999 with a BS in advertising with a terrible gpa of 2.9. since then i have took math classes up to diff eq and physics w/ calculus and done well. however back in 1995 i took gen bio and gen chem and got a D and C in them.

i understand the odds are probably against me, but i am trying to fathom the best strategy to get me into medical school. i am planning on doing another BS in comp. sci (something i am very sure i can do well in) while retaking the premeds at the local community college up the road. will my chances be tarnished by the poor grades i recieved at college many years ago, or if i can prove i can do well in a relatively hard subject like comp science, will that get me in? i also have the option of returning to england to become a doctor. any help is much appreciated.

2. Ryo-Ohki

7+ Year Member

They like upward trends in your GPA. They don't like community college courses for your science prereqs. Do well in your classes and do well on your MCAT and you'll be set. Good luck.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SoulRFlare

SoulRFlare Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

hey
    I'll be 28 when I start medical school, had some rough times during my undergraduate years, so I sympathize. My advice would be to simply take the prereq. classes you need rather than trying to get another degree--unless you're sure you'll use the extra degree. you'll have your hands full with the basic sciences, and it will probably take you two years to complete everything as it is (though if you really pushed yourself you could possibly do it in one). approach your classes, mcat study time, and application process as a full time job--really throw yourself into it--and i don't see any reason why you shouldn't succeed.
    good luck!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Pinkertinkle

Pinkertinkle 2003 Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Proving you can do well in computer science won't help if they see you dodging the med school prereqs by taking them at a CC.

5. LP1CW

LP1CW Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Don't complete another degree. Take a full course load, yes a full course load. You want to prove that you can handle the science. Many post-bac students make the mistake of taking one or two classes a semester. At that rate, it's not to hard to do well. They want to see that you can handle a rigorous course load. Also, just take the premed related courses you need. If you want to be a doctor, make this your focus. Computer science won't help you.

Retake the general chem class and bio class. For instance, this summer or next fall register for gen bio, gen chem, take the labs and pick up an elective that doesn't have a prequisite course like anatomy or something along those lines. You can also take a course in biomedical ethics. You'll need about 12 credits at a state level school.

I would also recommend that you do two full years of course work to bring your GPA up. Second year you can knock out orgo and physics. ANd take electives like genetics and cell physiology.

Work hard, let this be your focus, and if you truly want it, you can do it. Again, don't complete another degree. Premed course work demands your complete effort. Show the schools that you want this.

You should also consider Osteopathic programs. They are generally move forgiving of youthful academic discretions. They also are receptive of older applicants. And lastly, when they calculate your GPA, they only calculate your final grade in a retake. So, your chem and bio will be removed from overall GPA during their application process. This is not true for AMCAS (MD applications).

So, consider shadowing a DO now. Understand their philosophy and get a letter from an alumni of the school that you would want to attend. And apply to MD programs that are receptive to older, i.e., nontraditional applicants like Albany, Finch, NYMC, Drexel. Vermont also seems to be a good choice for nontraditional students. And don't forget the state school that you reside in.

Work hard, don't lose focus, and you can do this.

6. Pre-Dent-David

Pre-Dent-David Super Hero
    7+ Year Member

I think it will look good to the adcoms if you can change your british accent to something slightly less dreadful such as ebonics. jk. Assuming you get a good gpa with your new degree you shouldnt worry too much about your gpa.

7. Mr Reddly

Mr Reddly Snowglobe!
    7+ Year Member

older student my a$$!!!
    Thank you. :mad: I suddenly feel old. :(
    Before long, I'll probably just :sleep: all day and be :scared: , wondering where my mind went.

...But I digress. I don't have much to offer you other than "good luck".:horns:

8. ad_sharp

ad_sharp Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I agree with many of the above posters. It doesn't look good if you do your prereqs at a different school than the rest of your classes. Also, it may be in your best interest not to do another degree. Med schools look very hard at the last 60 hrs of your coursework to determine if you can handle medical school. Prove that you can by taking difficult course loads and making good grades. This is your best bet in demonstrating to adcoms that you can be a successful doctor. I hope that everything turns out in your favor and good luck.

9. Celestron2000

Celestron2000 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Don't take your pre-reqs at a community college. It matters.

10. medic8m

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This is all good advice. You should take at least 18 science units per semester at a non-CC. Just do all the prereqs over 2 years. You should get some experience with seeing healthcare firsthand. I wouldn't worry about research, or getting another degree.

11. kevinf911

kevinf911 Member
    7+ Year Member

the best piece of advice i can offer is this....

check out www.oldpremeds.net

i'm almost sure you'll find more answers than you have questions there, and the people are oh-so-friendly...most of the folks there are in exactly (or very similar at least) the same situation in which you find yourself. Hope that helps!

12. vtucci

vtucci Attending in Emergency Medicine
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I would highly recommend enrolling at a post-bac program. Because you have some of the requirements, you may be limited but a good post-bac program would really help you out in terms of advising and with the pre-med committee letter, which is important at many schools (older students generally have a harder time getting LORs because they have been out of school so long- this will probably not be an issue for you but nonetheless, the committee letter can help).

With respect to the reqs, you should take them at a 4 year university. a C and D almost 10 years ago is certainly not fatal. You will have to take them again and shine in those classes (Shoot for the A).

Also, since you have done computer science, I would find a good way to tie that into medicine- otherwise you will really seem to be all over the place. Have you considered bioinformatics? or working on a clinical research project on the tech side?

13. asdasd12345

Removed

i havent done computer science as a major, i did advertising. but i already understand a lot of computer science concepts, because i like to write computer games in my spare time for fun. i dont think i can really consider a career other than medicine at this point, once i get something in my head its difficult to get out, and the harder it is to achieve makes it seem even more appealing for some reason.

14. N1DERL&

N1DERL& HP4!!!!
    7+ Year Member

~~~~~~

With respect to the reqs, you should take them at a 4 year university. a C and D almost 10 years ago is certainly not fatal. You will have to take them again and shine in those classes (Shoot for the A).

~~~~~~

In regards to old classes, what exactly is the cutoff? Over 5 years? Over 10 years? Does this include just your science prereqs or english comp classes too?

Thanks!

15. Brickhouse

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think I've said this eleventy billion times, and I'm sure most of the regulars know I'm the big community college advocate....but for the OP - I did all my science pre-reqs at a community college - I am 27. I start medical school in August. It's possible.

16. Asclepius

Asclepius 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I heard a med school admissions dean speak on the subject today. Community college itself does not raise red flags, but discrepancies in grades or scores does. If you take your courses at a community college and get A's and then ace the MCAT, then who can gainsay you? But, if you get A's and do poorly on the MCAT then your program indicates a lack of rigor and your A's don't mean a thing.

Sure, some schools will snub community colleges, but they're elitest pricks anyway.

I responded to your post because you have an interesting story. Your personal statement will be key. You have a chance to explain your lack of success in the past and your determination and excitement about the future.

17. Mr Reddly

Mr Reddly Snowglobe!
    7+ Year Member

What type? What language? :cool:

18. johnnyMD

johnnyMD Membership Revoked
    Removed

www.auc.edu

19. An Yong

An Yong Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

If med school is your ultimate goal, not sure how much another CS degree will help you. Especially since the CS courses won't be included in your science GPA (sucks considering they are usually math intensive). Besides, some of the upper level CS courses (especially the theoretical ones like finite automata, language, and computational theory) have very little programming, proof intensive, and can put a beating on anyone's gpa =) If your thoroughly convinced on obtaining a 2nd bachelor's degree, i'd choose one that had the potential to drastically increase your science gpa, i.e. math, bio, chem etc.

Perhaps consider a math major? You can concentrate in numerical analysis which is basically cs/math hybrid, but since they are math classes itll raise your science gpa =P

20. skypilot

skypilot 2K Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If you can get A's and B's in the basic science classes and get a halfway decent MCAT score the odds aren't against you.

It all depends on how far you are willing to go to get the Medical degree. I applied to the University of Sydney Australia. I would also consider the Irish medical schools offered through the Atlantic Bridge, St Georges which is the top Carribean school, Osteopathic medical schools which have, in the past few years, become a fantastic option leading to allopathic residency programs, as well as all the allopathic schools in the U.S.

21. asdasd12345

Removed

well i guess that include UF then because i got this email from them.

You need to complete the pre-requiste courses at the most competitive
    institution in which you can enroll. Prescribed pre med programs are
    fine, but still choose the most competitive school. We will see what
    you did in your previous undergraduate work but will focus on what you
    do now.

Coordinator of Admissions
    University of Florida College of Medicine

i guess most competitive means the best ranked school, or the hardest school to take the courses. since uf doesnt allow post bac it will probably be FSU.