This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dez C

Reaction score
Hey Everyone

I’m at a bit of a crossroads.

A little background I’m 28 right now and have decided to go back to school after working as a medical technologist for the last 3.5 years.

However I’m a bit conflicted whether or not I should pursue the MD route or PA route. Based on my age I won’t really be able to enroll in either medical school or PA school until I’m at least 30 years old.

I feel that I might be a little too old to pursue an MD due to the years of schooling plus residency, as I have a greater opportunity cost in comparison to younger people who are in their early 20s. By the time I’m working as an attending I’ll be in my late 30s at the earliest or even my early 40s (if I manage to get into a competitive specialty) with a large six figure debt hanging over me.

I was thinking that PA may be the better option as an older person as the schooling and debt is a lot less. Though I don’t know if that will hurt me in the long term, in terms of vertical mobility.

I have older parents as well that will be approaching retirement age soon and I want to be able to support them financially, more easily.

Would love some advice on how to approach this situation.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You are definitely not too old to apply to medical school. Fewer and fewer students are applying straight out of undergrad, and I would wager that there would be several people in your medical school class that are older than you. That said, the financial considerations you mention are very real, and I would certainly factor them into your decision.

Reactions: 4 users
If you are capable of doing the work and can generate the appropriate stats, you are definitely not too old. Follow your passion.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your decision will require you to assess what you want out of your career in terms of independence, flexibility, lifestyle, earnings potential, and expertise.

I am an older nontraditional student who chose medical school. I wanted to obtain the greatest possible depth and breadth of medical knowledge, I am a relentless worker, and I naturally gravitate towards leadership roles. Medical school was the right choice for me even though I won't be an attending until I'm in my early 40s. I don't think I'd be satisfied in a supporting NP/PA role - I'd always desire something "more." I don't mind the significant price I have to pay (very lengthy training, lost earning years) to become a doctor. It is well worth it to me.

In contrast, I have an acquaintance who enjoys having a lot of knowledge about one specific area of medicine/healthcare, she likes being an integral member of her team but doesn't need to captain the ship, and (probably most importantly) she wanted a 9-5/no weekends job. PA school was the right choice for her.

Both are fine pathways, but they are very different careers. You have to think about what you want out of your life and choose accordingly. I recommend doing a few weeks of both PA and physician shadowing to help you decide.

Reactions: 10 users
Hey Everyone

I’m at a bit of a crossroads.

A little background I’m 28 right now and have decided to go back to school after working as a medical technologist for the last 3.5 years.

However I’m a bit conflicted whether or not I should pursue the MD route or PA route. Based on my age I won’t really be able to enroll in either medical school or PA school until I’m at least 30 years old.

I feel that I might be a little too old to pursue an MD due to the years of schooling plus residency, as I have a greater opportunity cost in comparison to younger people who are in their early 20s. By the time I’m working as an attending I’ll be in my late 30s at the earliest or even my early 40s (if I manage to get into a competitive specialty) with a large six figure debt hanging over me.

I was thinking that PA may be the better option as an older person as the schooling and debt is a lot less. Though I don’t know if that will hurt me in the long term, in terms of vertical mobility.

I have older parents as well that will be approaching retirement age soon and I want to be able to support them financially, more easily.

Would love some advice on how to approach this situation.

Thanks

28 is a good age to pursue a career in medicine. I say go the MD route.