Advice needed for Post-Bacc vs Master's decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adell

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 2 years out of undergraduate currently teaching high school English. I am looking into post-bac/master's programs and have gotten into a couple. I am trying to raise my science GPA. My cumulative GPA is 3.50 and my science GPA is 2.75. My MCAT score is 34. I have gotten into the following post-bac/master's programs:

VCOM Post-Baccalaureate Program (1 year)

NYMC Master's of Basic Medical Sciences Program (2 years)

Loyola Master's of Medical Physiology (1 year)

UNC Greensboro Post-Baccalaureate Program (1 year)

I am leaning toward the VCOM Post-bac due to cost of the program and cost of living in the area, but I am hesitant to accept my offer because I feel that other programs may be more prestigious, thus giving more weight during medical admissions' decisions. I would like some advice on which program to choose.

Thanks so much, guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi -

With a 2.75 science GPA, you can't be looking at grad work yet, no matter how prestigious or convenient. That number is a red flag that stays just as red on the other side of grad work, even an SMP, even with your MCAT score.

If you'll be happy with DO, then by all means do the VCOM progam and focus on DO admissions. Go for it, but understand that DO schools will be just as unhappy with that 2.75 as MD schools will.

If you won't be happy with DO, then you have multiple years of work to do before you have a realistic chance, starting with enough additional undergrad work to redeem that 2.75, probably followed by a legit SMP or rigorous traditional grad work, probably necessitating an MCAT retake. Your sGPA won't be repaired by additional undergrad, but you can't get out of producing the multi-year mostly-science high-GPA undergrad effort that med schools need to see when they're evaluating 5000 apps for 150 seats. You have to make it easy for med schools to see why they need to let you in, because by default you're out, even with better numbers.

SDN has a postbac forum where you can find boatloads of info from current and former students on all these programs.

Best of luck to you.

The presitge is icompletely irrelevant. We look look at how you do, not where you went. Of the four, if UNC is not given by the medical school, I'd cross it off the list. the other three are back doors into those schools and others.

Maintain a B+ or great avg, and do well on MCAT, and you'll be fine.

I am 2 years out of undergraduate currently teaching high school English. I am looking into post-bac/master's programs and have gotten into a couple. I am trying to raise my science GPA. My cumulative GPA is 3.50 and my science GPA is 2.75. My MCAT score is 34. I have gotten into the following post-bac/master's programs:

VCOM Post-Baccalaureate Program (1 year)

NYMC Master's of Basic Medical Sciences Program (2 years)

Loyola Master's of Medical Physiology (1 year)

UNC Greensboro Post-Baccalaureate Program (1 year)

I am leaning toward the VCOM Post-bac due to cost of the program and cost of living in the area, but I am hesitant to accept my offer because I feel that other programs may be more prestigious, thus giving more weight during medical admissions' decisions. I would like some advice on which program to choose.

Thanks so much, guys.

Reactions: 1 user