Advice needed for retake.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

dovebar

Ok, so I took the test in April 23N 8V 9PS and 6BS. I decided to retake it about a week ago. Tough decision to make because after I got my scores I wanted NOTHING to do with the MCAT for a long time. :oops:

I was taking two classes over the summer and working, so I haven't been able to focus as much as I would like/need to. In two weeks, I'll have nothing else to do except MCAT. That'll give in about 4 weeks on intense studying.

I'm aiming for 32 or above. I've been studying pretty hard this last weekend. don't know if in the next month I can see a 9 point increase. I'm willing to take a break and prepare for the January/April one next year and postpone for a year. I think it will make me a stronger applicant. Anyone have any advice or in the same boat?
Oh yeh...I have a 3.4 gpa with a B.S. biochemistry...don't ask about my bio score. :thumbdown: So, I need a high MCAT to get me into MD.

Sorry this is long...I'd like anyone's advice. Thanks. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Well it is a little late in the game to start studying now. However, that doesnt mean it cant be done. Just remember, practice practice practice, review it, and take the tests over again to make sure you know what you did wrong and to see if you learned from it. Put in 8-10 hours a day, with some break in between so you dont burn out. At this point in the game, I would take 1 or 2 tests a week, one on the weekend, once in the middle. Keep a strict schedule, and follow it.

dovebar said:
Ok, so I took the test in April 23N 8V 9PS and 6BS. I decided to retake it about a week ago. Tough decision to make because after I got my scores I wanted NOTHING to do with the MCAT for a long time. :oops:

I was taking two classes over the summer and working, so I haven't been able to focus as much as I would like/need to. In two weeks, I'll have nothing else to do except MCAT. That'll give in about 4 weeks on intense studying.

I'm aiming for 32 or above. I've been studying pretty hard this last weekend. don't know if in the next month I can see a 9 point increase. I'm willing to take a break and prepare for the January/April one next year and postpone for a year. I think it will make me a stronger applicant. Anyone have any advice or in the same boat?
Oh yeh...I have a 3.4 gpa with a B.S. biochemistry...don't ask about my bio score. :thumbdown: So, I need a high MCAT to get me into MD.

Sorry this is long...I'd like anyone's advice. Thanks. :)

Tough choice. It all depends on how strong your prerequisite classes were. How much did you actually study for the April test? If it was very little then you need to get studying now. If it was a lot you need way more than 4 weeks to improve your score to a favorable number.

So your choices are:

1) Get on your horse and take the August test to apply this year
2) Wait a year and excel in the April MCAT. (And apply early).

If you haven't started your AMCAS yet this year I suggest you don't even bother with the August test and take a year off. Between doing your Personal Statement, secondaries, and the MCAT, you won't have enough time for everything. Especially since you are taking classes and working.

Save your sanity and wait a year so you can be on top of the game.

Taking time off can be great. I took the MCAT in 2003 when I was a junior in college, got a decent score, but I applied late in the game (end of September) and didn't get in that cycle. Decided to take a couple of years off to do research. Just retook the MCAT this past April. I was much more relaxed this time around. I think the break from classes helped me to refocus, and it showed in my improved score. Don't worry about "wasting a year" by not starting med school right after college.

If you wait to take the MCAT until next April, you can start studying in January and take it easy...just a couple of hours a day. It would definitely be less stressful than trying to be ready to take it this August.

Either way, good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks everyone. I'll study pretty hard for two weeks, take aamc 9, see where I stand. If it's above a 30, then I'll retake(and register for the test on the 28th :D ). If it's not, then I'll wait a year. Thanks again. :luck:

A few people mentioned waiting until April to retake. Keep in mind that you'll be able to take it as early as January next year!