Advice Needed from Fellow Med Student and Derms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Transformers

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

Im currently going to be rising senior in undergrad and Im planning on taking a year off before medical school. I shouldnt have any problem of getting into good med school, but I think I would like to wait a year before I apply instead of deferring upon an school that I would have received acceptance from this year.

Im actually interested in pursuing a 1 year research fellowship opportunity in the field of skin disease/dermatology. Aside from a variety of reasons including that my mother is a dermatologist, derms definitely a serious field Id like to consider. Of course, Im aware about the competitiveness (USMLE of 240-250+, honors, letters of recc, and all the other criteria on the NRMP statistics) and I'm definitely ready for the challenge.

In the meantime, I think the best advice I have received from a several derms in their residencies was to get involved in derm research as early as possible and do a little resume building with posters/clinical case studies. They emphasized this point because after a solid usmle score, honors, the external factors such as research and letters of reccs from notable academic dermies become highly valued. So I hope I dont sound naive in the decision Id like to make but rather I really conversed with many people in the field of dermatology who provided me the scope of what Im getting myself involved in.

Now this isn't the only reason why I would like to take a year off. Part of me really wants a break from academics but at the same time, I want to do research thats conducive to applying for the residency Im interested in.

Basically, I wanted to ask you guys about what approach I could take to apply for such a fellowship. Would it be best to contact and email professors or are there certain programs out there that accomdate students? Would such an opportunity come via connections or should I email and forward my resume to as many derm faculty out there??

To be flat out honest, I am definitely interested but at the same time, I realize how important the end-products (pubs, posters, case studies) become highly valued when applying for residency so I would want to pursue this 1-year option only if its plausible that such tangible results are possible for a pre-1st year med student.

Thanks.
 
Keep in mind that this "year off" is not free. Even in the *gasp* worst-case-scenario that you end up becoming a non-board-certified PCP... you are still essentially paying $150,000 for that year off (in lost income).

Yes, $150,000. Feel free to double that for derm and related fields...
 
Do it. Especially if it is a paid position, and try to have some fun while you are at it b/c med school is pretty difficult.