Advice needed-Graduated with 3.0 oGPA, 2.98 sGPA. Should I do a post bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

mitrieD

I graduated from UCSD in 2014 and I'm currently studying for my DAT. I got an overall GPA of 3.0 and science GPA of 2.98, even though I worked so hard and hardly had fun :(.

Anyways I've been thinking that it may not be a good idea to apply this cycle since my GPA is so low. Should I apply for a post bacc or masters instead? If so, wouldn't it be too late to apply for fall semester for post bacc or masters since its currently spring?

I don't have any amazing extracurriculars.... but by June I'll have around 100 hours of shadowing and 100 hours of volunteer work, but I feel like my extracurriculars need to be much better than that.

Any advice? Anyone in the same boat last year and still applied? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
The gold stars you get from volunteer work will not make up for the low gpa.

The gold stars you get from volunteer work will not make up for the low gpa.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but of course measly volunteer hours won't make up for anything. I just don't know what would be the best path to pursue in this position. I'm highly considering a plan B from dentistry even though I spent so much time and money down the pre dental path.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted the first time with a little lower GPA than yours, a 22 on the DAT, a really extensive amount of EC, and high quality letters of rec. I'm not suggesting you to apply or not, just letting you know it's possible.

Reactions: 1 user
I also got accepted with similar GPA to yours though I only had a 19 on my DAT. I also had a master's degree.

I know the common theme on SDN is "will I get accepted?" but I think that's the wrong question. I think the real question is "If I were accepted today would I be successful in dental school?" That's a question that only you can answer for yourself.

I had a lower gpa and knew I wouldn't be able to succeed to my full potential right out of undergrad, so I didn't apply then. I did a master's degree, kicked butt in it, and then applied. When I got accepted it was a great day because not only was I accepted, but because I believed in my abilities. Just something to consider about your situation. If you don't think you'll succeed in dental school now then kick butt in a post-bacc or a master's program.

Reactions: 1 users
I would if I were you. I had similar stats from UVA and then did a post bacc (informal) and got a 4.0. I have way more hours of volunteering and shadowing too, but you have time to improve those before applying. I received 3 interviews and 3 acceptances. I like the above point too... It's good to kind of reinvent your academic self in our situation.

I would if I were you. I had similar stats from UVA and then did a post bacc (informal) and got a 4.0. I have way more hours of volunteering and shadowing too, but you have time to improve those before applying. I received 3 interviews and 3 acceptances. I like the above point too... It's good to kind of reinvent your academic self in our situation.

How many hrs was your post bac if you don't mind me asking? Adcoms usually like to see more than one semester at least.

How many hrs was your post bac if you don't mind me asking? Adcoms usually like to see more than one semester at least.

25 hours. I stacked my labs and kept one full day open a week for 8 hours of observation. Also I should have taken at least one more class but I initially registered as a non-degree student and then was limited in the number of credits I could take per semester. I later changed my status to a second degree undergrad. But I basically had no guidance on it, which I didn't love, and I didn't know about this site then. I had taken about half of the pre-reqs in undergrad but wasn't pre-dental at the time (I'm older, graduated in 2008)... Was just dabbling in science classes with no direction back then.

25 hours. I stacked my labs and kept one full day open a week for 8 hours of observation. Also I should have taken at least one more class but I initially registered as a non-degree student and then was limited in the number of credits I could take per semester. I later changed my status to a second degree undergrad. But I basically had no guidance on it, which I didn't love, and I didn't know about this site then. I had taken about half of the pre-reqs in undergrad but wasn't pre-dental at the time (I'm older, graduated in 2008)... Was just dabbling in science classes with no direction back then.

Oh I see. Thanks for replying back. Congrats on the acceptances!

If you still have plenty of upper division bio classes to take, then post bac (informal) is the way to go. If not, a masters program will have to do.
I would personally hold off on applying until you can make your app stronger. As in get more shadowing and volunteer hrs, take a years worth of upper division biology classes, knock the crap out of the DAT (22+), get great LORs, write a kick butt personal statement, and then apply.

I'm in the same boat as you so figured I'll help.
I have essentially the same GPA as you and my DAT scores were all 23+, loads of EC, volunteer, shadowing, research, Fulbright recipient, etc etc. I got 2 pre dec interviews and am waiting on both schools. So definitely a chance.
However......every school I've spoken to basically said the same thing, that my GPA is holding me back. So if I were you, I'd at least find some way to take a couple summer classes to boost your GPA best you can while applying.
There's no shame in getting a masters or doing a post doc. 2 years isn't a long time.

Get a master's degree, seriously. And kick butt in it, get a high GPA for that degree. I had a 3.2 undergrad with a 2.9 science GPA, but I had a 3.7 GPA in my Masters and a 21AA on the DAT. I'm pretty sure that 3.7 had a lot to do with me getting into school. In the interview I was actually asked about my ability to succeed with such a low GPA in undergrad. I politely pointed out my much higher grad GPA and stated that my maturity level and dedication to my education has significantly improved between the ages of 17 and 23.