advice needed! i'm in a black hole!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted389100

I graduated with a humanities major. During my undergrad, I took some pre-med courses (general chem + labs, bio - no labs, one quarter of ochem + lab)... all with mediocre score.

... After all that, I realized that an informal post-bacc was NOT my style and decided to gain some experience with research/work and reevaluate what I was doing with my life... haha sounds cheesy, but it really helped! I did research with a prominent surgeon and had the opportunity to shadow several doctors in different fields.

So currently speaking, I've decided that I seriously want to go to med school, no matter what it takes, and I want to enter into a post-bacc program (formal) to get myself started in the right direction... but I do not know what I fall under: career changer? academic enhancer?

Iam not a URM (as asian as they come!) and i'm not considered economically/educationally disadvantaged

I have about 1/2 of the prereqs completed... albeit abysmal, and I still need a year of ochem, math (calc and stats), bio labs, physio? biochem? I would probably need to retake the courses I've already taken, since it has been so long since I took them and honestly I don't remember much from them...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Figure out how to get A's by getting some in CC science/math classes.
2. Do more undergrad until your cumulative is up over 3.0. That means straight A's for a long time. Probably best to look at a 2nd bachelors.
3. Get an above average MCAT (32 is avg for MD, 28 for DO)
4. If you want to go MD, do an SMP.
5. No guarantees.

Best of luck to you.