1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Advice Needed on Catch-22

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by pakxman261, May 29, 2008.

1. pakxman261

Pre-Medical
    Ok guys...heres the situation: I'm registered to take the July 18th exam, and can say that I still need to prepare extensively. I also need to RETAKE Orgo II, which I am registered for as of now in Summer 1 and have been attending for a week, in which I received a low grade of D due to a lack of focus earlier in my career (which is another story in and of itself, but not an issue anymore). Now the organic 2 course requires me to drive 40 mins from my house each way, as well as devote 2 hrs to a lecture, and than another 2 or so a day to studying at least a chapter a day (the course is accelerated as you all know bc of summer). All in all, the course can be considered a notable distraction from MCAT prep time. W/ the course pushed to summer 2, I would have 24 hrs a day with no job and no classes for the next month and a half to prepare for MCATS in mid-July.

What I want to know is, is it worth pushing off the course and potentially doing better on the MCATS and than retaking the course in summer 2 (but having to apply with the D only w/ a promise of retaking the class on my application) or to do both at the same time, apply with the new grade in hand but potentially risk a cpl points in my MCAT score? I'm trying to factor in being able to apply at a decent time with a decent score.

Any suggestions as far as application strategies, test scheduling, or more as to how to work around this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Jolie South

Jolie South is invoking Domo. . .
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    there's no need to get o chem 2 in before your app goes out. you could even take it in the fall or spring. just put it on your planned courses and update the schools once you've taken it.

i had a D in ochem 2 as well, and just put in on my planned courses on AMCAS. everything was ok.

as far as the MCAT, how much studying have you done already? have you taken a diagnostic test? i think that will be the real determinant of your application strategy. there's no point in rushing, submitting AMCAS, bombing the MCAT, then having to reapply next year. do it once and do it right. this about all i can advise without knowing more about your situation.

4. nontrdgsbuiucmd

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'd suggest pushing off ochem 2 and prepping fulltime for the MCAT instead, I tried to complete ochem 2 as a 5 week summer class while prepping for the MCAT last summer and found it impossible to do well in ochem 2 and have ANY time at all to study for the MCAT. (as in staying up past midnight every night with Ochem, waking at 6am to get to school) I think it'll be viewed much more favorably to earn a higher MCAT score. Also, Ochem is a tough class, and should you earn less than an A (this was my only B in over a year's worth of undergrad science courses), you'd need to explain your grade in ochem AND a lower than your potential MCAT score.

5. scarletgirl777

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Summer ochem consumes life. If you're set on applying this year, it's better to just take the class next year and take the MCAT now. You can't do both.

6. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California
    Moderator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Agreed. And of all the possible classes and their impact on the MCAT, Ochem II is the least. Spend your summer studying for the MCAT. You don't want to be fighting a two front war here.

7. pakxman261

Pre-Medical
    THANK YOU ALL...I'm gonna drop the course as of now, and retake it in summer 2 putting it in my amcas under future coursework. I encountered several ppl who had the opinion of finishing the class first in a different forum, or simultaneously do both...but I would say the majority of you voted to focus solely on MCATS. thanks, wish me luck...

8. GoldShadow

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Dear Pakxman261,

I regret to inform you that this situation is not a "Catch-22" like your thread title indicates.

For information on the proper form and usage of the phrase "Catch-22", please refer to the text "Catch-22" by Joseph Heller. If you have any further questions, please contact me at the number or e-mail address listed below.

Sincerely,
    GoldShadow

GoldShadow
    Chairman, Committee for the Proper and Applied Usage of Catch-22
    555-324-1783
    [email protected]