Advice needed on NYC post bacc programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pico58

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I'm new to this but I recently made the decision to pursue a career in the medical field. I graduated from college in 2011. It hasn't been one made on whim. I've deeply thought about it and re-examined all of my experiences from volunteering at hospitals in HS to my current internship at a non-profit that deals with mental and physical health issues. So, I am currently residing at NYC and I've been considering the options of post-baccs that schools here have to offer.

I think the best program is probably NYU's since it seems really well structured and offers great support for the students in the program. But the problem is my financial situation. I currently work at a restaurant full time and I'm interning another 20ish hours a week. I have been saving up money but it is nowhere near enough to cover the steep tuition of NYU's program. I have been considering applying to other much cheaper options(i.e. Hunter) but I am just afraid that I will not have a great foundation.

Should I just bite the bullet and put myself in debt for NYU's program or go for another program that seems more financially sound? Has anyone been through the other post-baccs that can offer some advice on them?

I really appreciate it!:)

Members don't see this ad.

I honestly don't think it's worth putting yourself in large debt for the pre-med courses. Go to Hunter, do well (think close to 4.0), score well on the MCAT (33ish) and you should be a shoe-in to any SUNY you'd like to go to. That would be the smart financially sound way to do it. Also, get in some hospital volunteering and shadowing.

Disclaimer: You didn't mention your undergrad GPA. If that's low, then you may need to do more than the above.

I don't know much about the NYU program but if it does provide level of support that you feel you need then you should consider it. The Hunter program really isn't about hand-holding but it is 25% of the cost. I'd hazard the quality of instruction is comparable but NYU would definitely have better facilities.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
There is a postbacc forum where this type of thing is discussed...a lot. Poke your head in there and you might find some sound opinion. My only real comments:
1) NYU is extortion-level expensive, not even including the cost of living. Lots of money for that great support system.
2) Why are you interning somewhere for 20 hours a week? Might be difficult to pursue multiple new career paths at same time.

Thank you for everyone's responses! My GPA was 3.6 in undergrad so I hope that isn't too low.

I am also interning 20 hours a week somewhere else to basically keep my sanity and do some type of work that I actually genuinely enjoy. Working at a restaurant is basically just to keep the bills paid.

I will look more into the postbacc forum.